Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Plan to go in early May, is there Snow ? 2008/9/3 19:06
Hello,I am Thais.
I plan to go to japan for 2 weeks in next year with my friends.
But they can go only in May.
So I plan to go in early May (after golden week).
I heard that in north region like Hokkaido in early May I still can find Skaura blossum,ain't I ?
But some of my friends never see the snow before so I plan to see snow in Hokkaido too.

My question,
1. Where can I find snow in early May ? Sapporo ?
2. Can I see Sakura blossum in eary May ?

Thank you for every answer and sorry for my bad English.

Domo Aligato Ngosaimus and Kobkoon Klab (Thanks in Japanese and Thais)
by Gun Yong Thailand  

Snow on the mountaintops 2008/9/7 07:49
The first few weeks in May you can usually see snow on the mountaintops around Sapporo from the city itself. If you want to get into it, all you have to do is drive or take a bus south out of Sapporo and the passes should still have snow piled up.

You can also see a lot of snow if you take the bus from Aomori to Lake Towada. Around Hakkoda-san there is sometimes snow piled 3m high leftover from winter, even at the end of May.

The sakura in the northern reaches such as in Hokkaido are can be"yamazakura" or "kwanzan" in Chinese, which take the cold winters better. They will be in bloom around the end of May up north. The regular "sakura" bloom at the end of April to the beginning of May at the latest in Aomori and in Hokkaido may last until the end of May.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread