Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning to backpack Japan. Any tips? 2008/9/4 05:59
Hello all. I'm planning on going on a solo backpack trip to Japan in October for 2 months. This is my first time backpacking. I don't have an itinerary and just plan on going to different cities using the train pass. I've read other posts about where to stay, but I need advice on what to bring. What's the weather conditions over there during Oct-Dec.? What kind of clothing and what amount should I bring?
by Phil  

Cold in the north; warm in Kyushu 2008/9/7 07:31
You're going to need to bring a bit extra because the temperature will be colder in the mountains and in the north. In places like Kochi or Kagoshima prefectures, it can still be fairly warm in Oct & Nov. Bring some T-shirts that you can wear under a long-sleeved shirt of some kind; if it's warm you can just wear the T. If you have a gore-tex type jacket, it would serve to keep you warm as well as keep rain off. Expect cold rains in December and the possibility of a typhoon in October & November. If a typhoon gets close it will rain sideways. Hokkaido will be cold and in December you can get snow in the mountain parks.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

Suggestion 2008/9/9 01:32
Wow a trip like that sounds great. I am also planing a 3 month trek through Japan. Good shoes for hiking and maybe a pair of Crocks for when your in town easy to slip on and off. They dont weigh hardly anything... Well good luck!!
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread