Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pasmo Commuter Pass 2008/9/8 13:59
Hi,

I've a question here. What is the difference of PASMO commuter pass from the normal PASMO card.

I'm planning to buy PASMO card next week when i'm in Tokyo. I'm confused with the PASMO card usage esp connecting a train with different lines.

JR to Keikyu..?

Should i scan EXIT or TRANSFER?

thanks,
chanique
by Chanique  

. 2008/9/8 18:30
PASMO commuter pass is a normal PASMO card plus a traditional commuter pass (1/3/6 months).
It has nothing to do with a short-time tourist.

I'm confused with the PASMO card usage esp connecting a train with different lines.

JR to Keikyu..?

Should i scan EXIT or TRANSFER?

If there is a dedicated transfer gate (like JR and Keikyu in Shinagawa station), you can go through it.
Otherwise you have to exit once.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

commuter passes 2008/9/9 05:18
The Suica or Pasmo smartcards that tourists can buy deduct the full fare amount,so it is just like buying each single ticket cash. The cards are just much more practical than cash(no looking for the fare on a huge map, fiddling with cash etc.)
Commuter passes for those who aren't familiar at all with the concept(this is a basic explanation as there are always exceptions depending on a town or country)give a discount to people who use transit every month and at least twice a day during their working week, A monthly pass is only worthwhile if you travel for at least 15 days in a month twice a day(this changes depending on the town). The Japanese passes are different from the European/ North American ones as the Japanese ones are based on one single route--always the same-- between your home and your working place. Any trip using other routes is an extra payment so a commuter pass in Tokyo would be of no use for tourists staying a full month as they travel all over town. In most European and North American towns a commuter pass let you travel anywhere within whatever zone you pay for. In Paris and other towns, you can even get a weekly commuter pass but this isn't always practical for tourists either. Commuter passes are especially cheap if one buy them for 6 months (Japan) or 1 year
(Europe).
by Red frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/9 15:33
For tourists commuter passes aren't soo useful. But for those who live here they are almost a necessity if you ride trains almost everyday. Not only it covers from your home to work/school, but you can ride unlimited on and offs at any stations inbetween your selected route, this can be useful depending on what line you're on. Another good thing is that if you go off route, is that instead of paying a full fare, you only pay the difference from any of the closest stations on your route. For example you have a pass that covers Nakano-Yoyogi, but you wanted to go to Harajuku. Instead of paying a full fare from Nakano to Harajuku, the ticket gates will only deduct the cost difference between Yoyogi and Harajuku instead of charging a full price from Nakano. So really useful if you are living here.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread