Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

nagoya dialect resources 2008/9/9 01:12
Hello,

I moved from the USA to Nagoya, Japan about five months ago. Well it seems that younger people use mostly standard Japanese, I have a really hard time understanding older people, who have really thick Nagoya accents.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some resources that might help?

My wife is from Nagoya and I have picked up some Nagoya ben from her, like 食べや instead of 食べて, しとる instead of している, and things like えびふりゃ.
by al  

名古屋弁変換機 2008/9/9 11:16
Try some of the on-line Nagoya-ben translating machines, then.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSHJ&q=%E5%90%8D%E5%8F%A4%E5%B1%8B%E5%BC%81+%E5%A4%89%E6%8F%9B&revid=1158022525&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=top-revision&cd=1

By the way, I'm from Tokyo and I became fluent in teenage Nagoya-ben while living in Nagoya for three years, but never could understand what the old people were saying.
by Uco rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/9/9 14:28
thanks for the link, I will give it a look!

Haha, my wife tells me she can hardly understand her own father sometimes, his accent is so strong. I wonder if it is the same with all dialects and older people.
by al rate this post as useful

reply to this thread