Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is a "gaijin-card"? 2008/9/12 11:30
I was reading a forum somewhere where foreigners were asked for their "gaijin-card." They were stopped randomly by police and asked to show a card, but they never explained on the forum what it was exactly. How do you get it? How is it used exactly? Do I really need it if I decide to travel to Japan?

by J  

... 2008/9/12 12:52
"Gaijin card" is of course not the official name - it is "Alien Registration Card," so you might see the abbreviation ARC here and there as well.

This does not apply if you are just coming as a tourist.

If you come to Japan and stay/live for 90 days or longer, and hold a fixed address, you will need to register with the local city hall as a resident. And you get this card issued as an ID. On it is information like name, gender, date of birth, address, visa status & validity date, occupation/employer, etc., and as a resident if you move within Japan or change occupation, you report the change to the city hall and it gets updated.
by AK rate this post as useful

just to add 2008/9/12 13:00
In Japanese language, this card is called "gai-koku-jin-toroku-shomeisho", so in short it is called "gai-jin card" among expats. It proves you're not an illegal resident. If you are a tourist and asked to show your ID, you can just show them your passport instead.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/9/13 00:48
Thank you so much for answering.
by J rate this post as useful

reply to this thread