Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to hotel at late pm timing 2008/9/12 18:25
We are 2 adults and 2 children (5&10 years old), will be arriving at Narita airport at 9.25pm on mid November. I am thinking of using limousine bus or JR train (since I will buy the JR pass) to go to our hotel(Crowne Plaza Metropolitan hotel in Ikebukuro), but I am worried about the late timing. I saw from the websites of the limousine bus and JR train, they just operate until around 9-10pm, is it correct ? I really wish I can avoid using the taxi since the fares is so high.
by Suzanna  

... 2008/9/12 23:05
The last Ikebukuro bound bus at 21:55 will be close to impossible to catch (assuming your flight arrives on time), but trains and buses to other destinations in central Tokyo run longer. The last train leaves around 22:40. The last bus to TCAT (Tokyo City Air Terminal) at 23:00.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/12 23:25
The last JR Nex train is 21.43, the last bus to the hotel is 21.55.

The last Keisei Sky Liner Limited Express leaves Kansai Airport Terminal One at 22.41. Then change at Nippori to the Yamanote Line. This is a private railway, so you cannot use the JR Rail Pass for this train. You could use it for the Yamanote line, but you may not have the time to exchange your vouchers for the pass at Narita Airport.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/13 00:05
The last JR train (a Rapid service/unreserved/not Narita Express) leaves Narita Airport at 22:16 arriving at Tokyo Station at 23:40. The Rapid train is a regular commuter passenger train.

If you have time to exchange your JR pass vouchers for the actual JR pass before 22:16, then that's the train I would catch.

Otherwise, I would save my self the rush, exchange the JR pass the next day, and use the other non JR trains or buses into Tokyo.

The VERY last train as mentioned is a Keisei Limited Express (not Skyliner) and it leaves Narita Airport at 22:41/42 and arrives at Nippori Station (in Tokyo) at 23:53, at which point you can change to the JR Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro. The JR pass does not cover the Keisei Train, and as mentioned you may or may not have time to exchange your JR pass voucher, but since the fare is mimimal anyway, I would just pay the JR part and exchange the JR pass the next day. The Keisei Limited Express is also a regular commuter passenger train.

Your other alternative if you want a little more comfort (but costing more money), is taking the Limousine bus as mentioned by Uji, then making appropriate transfers at TCAT. Or another alternative is limousine bus to one of the Shinjuku Hotels (last bus around 22:30) to keio plaza, then walk to Shinjuku Station from the Keio Plaza hotel and taking a JR train to Ikebukuro a few minutes away. Though this process is probably more expensive since the bus costs 3000yen vs 1000yen for the regular train.

by John rate this post as useful

hotel in Narita 2008/9/13 05:34
We are arriving to Narita more or less the same time, we thought that the best idea use one of the hotels near the airport and begin the tour actually the next day.
by sofi rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/13 06:15
Rather than taking the limobus to the Keio Plaza, take a bus to Shinjuku Station then take a taxi. There are limo buses leaving at 22:10 and 22:35 from NRT to Shinjuku Station. If you miss that, take a limobus to Tokyo Station and take the Yamanote Line or taxi. The last bus to Tokyo Station is at 23:00.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

Narita to hotel at late pm timing 2008/9/13 13:23
Hi all, tks so much for the feedback. I have bought our tickets and also booked our hotel without realising the operation time of the limo bus and JR train. I learnt that the most convinience way for us is taking the limo bus until Shinjuku as advised by John. But instead of using train from Shinjuku, I am thinking of using taxi ... how much approximately is the taxi fare to Crowne Plaza Metropolitan hotel ? and is it easy to hail a taxi at midnight ?
by Suzanna rate this post as useful

Cabs 2008/9/13 13:39
I can't help you about the cab fare, just want to tell you to print the hotel access map and the hotel name, both in JAPANESE, from their web site as most Japanese cab drivers don't speak English. Also,when taking a cab you must enter from the left side and let the driver open and close the door automatically. I travel to Japan regularly and much prefer using the rapid transit than CABS, even with a suitcase!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/13 13:53
Here is a link to a map of the Hotel in Japanese, I agree print it out and give it to the Driver it is much easier then having to try to explain:

http://www.metropolitan.jp/access/index.html

Also the hotels telephone number is:
TEL ‚O‚R|‚R‚X‚W‚O|‚P‚P‚P‚P

In case the driver gets lost he can just call the hotel and talk to them.

As for the fare, its 710.

From Shinjuku to Ikebukuro by Taxi, should be (and I'm really taking a guess) about 2000yen or so.

Also as noted by another poster, there are buses to Shinjuku Station bus terminal as well, or the Keio Plaza which is down the street from JR Shinjuku, there's always taxis at the Keio Plaza waiting so I don't think you would have a problem calling one from there, or one of the bellhops can.

. 2008/9/13 13:56
Ignore my "As for the fare, its 710." I was trying to say, the initial fare for taxi's in Tokyo is 710 yen for the first 2km, Ikebukuro is roughly 5-6km from Shinjuku, so the taxi fare should be too much, thats why I guessed 2000yen or less) for the ride.

. 2008/9/13 13:56
"Shouldn't be too much".

N/P 2008/9/13 16:01
Once you could reach anywhere in central Tokyo such as Tokyo Station, Shinjuku, Ueno or Nippori, it's certain you can catch a taxi to your hotel in Ikebukuro.

With a map clearly marked "Your Hotel Name" and "IKEBUKURO" even in English, most taxi drivers will understand where you are heading to, though they dont understand spoken English.

Please learn how to use JR Yamanote line operated untill 1am if you'd definitely like to avoid taxi riding. :)

by Ts rate this post as useful

taxi fare caluculation 2008/9/13 16:13
Info from taxi fare calculation website

Distance:5987m
fareF
daytime 2,000yen-2,240yen
midnight 2,560yen-2,690yen

by Ts rate this post as useful

Narita to hotel at late pm timing 2008/9/14 01:32
Hi all, tks for all the effort to explain to me. Really appreciate it. I've got answers for my questions. Tks so much !!!
by Suzanna rate this post as useful

reply to this thread