Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sapporo accommodation alternatives? 2008/9/12 19:29
We are arriving in Sapporo for the snow festival 2009 and are finding accommodation difficult to find. Are there other towns cities to stay within 30mins of Sapporo in any directions?
by Janne  

Absolutely 2008/9/13 17:32
Had the same problem myself a few years back.
The Otaru Hilton does a winter special with great rooms having an ocean view if available. Lots of other hotels in Otaru. Otaru is a direct train line to Sapporo and takes about 30' on a local train and less on the airport express. If you have a JR pass no problem. If buying tickets the difference between an Otaru and a Sapporo hotel is huge so the ticket will be a flea bite.
In fact it is Y600 each way plus Y300 if you get a reserved seat on the express.
Be aware that if you decide on the Hilton the station stop is Otaruchikko NOT Otaru. Signs will point you to the hotel. All trains stop there and there is a big shopping mall with quite a few restaurants but I would advise trying to eat in town for a better range. Naturally the Hilton has a good restaurant but depends on the budget.
by RodW rate this post as useful

Concur 2008/9/19 18:39
Totally concur with Rodw, I stayed at the Otaru Hilton during the Snow and Ice festival this year. Had a wonderful time.

Don't forget to go and visit Otaru either.

It is a city which deserves to be seen and enjoyed, especially around the canal area.
by PH rate this post as useful

Sapporo alternatives 2008/9/30 12:20
Thanks so much for your replies. I have taken your advice.
by janne rate this post as useful

reply to this thread