Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving Conditions in Hokkaido 2008/9/12 23:52
1. I intend to spend about a week in Hokkaido in second week of Dec 2008 with my family of 3. I am thinking of driving to places like Lake Toya (noted that viccinity like Usuzan Ropeway is not accessible by bus in winter), Daisetsuzan Park(Sounkyo Onsen, Mt Asahidake, Asahidake Onsen & Mt Kurodate), Abashiri, Kushiro.

2. Are the main roads ploughed in winter?

3. Is it safe to drive along highways? I have driven in the States in Yellowstone National Park in winter. With a GPS, would it be possible to locate the places in winter?

4. What precautions should be taken for safe driving?

Thanks
by Paul Pang  

... 2008/9/13 08:26
Are the main roads ploughed in winter?

Yes, most major roads get cleared of snow. But if there is too much snow fall, sometimes even main roads can be constantly covered by snow.

Is it safe to drive along highways?

If you know how to drive in winter conditions and drive savely, it should be save.

With a GPS, would it be possible to locate the places in winter?

GPS works around the year.

What precautions should be taken for safe driving?

Drive slowly if there is snow or a risk of ice on the road. Know how to drive on snow/ice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

chains... 2008/9/13 20:36
Depending on where you are going, you may want to opt for chains from your rental company. I got stuck in a blizzard in Feb 08 and needed chains to continue driving. The petrol station helped me put them on and the hotel helped taking the chains off in the morning.
by lccl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread