Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving around Fuji/Hakone 2008/9/13 00:52
Hi,
I am planning to visit Tokyo in Nov and plan to visit Mt Fuji/Hakone area. i will be in Tokyo/Osaka/Hakone for about 10 days and travelling via JR 7-day pass.

I like to know if it is easy to drive from Tokyo to Fyji/Hakone area if i do not understand Japanese. i am going with my family ( 5 of us in total). If driving is not easy, then i like to know if it make sesnse to buy the 3 day Fuji-Hakone pass.

Pls advise. Thank you.
by tay  

... 2008/9/13 08:30
Driving around Hakone and Mount Fuji is easy. However, driving out of central Tokyo to Hakone and Mount Fuji can be a big navigation challenge. I don't recommend to drive in Tokyo, unless you are familiar with Tokyo and driving in Japan. You could, for example, take the train from central Tokyo to close to Hakone (e.g. Odawara, accessible by your Japan Rail Pass) and rent a car from there.

Also, I strongly recommend to avoid visiting Hakone on weekends or holidays. Traffic jams can be horrible. During regular weekdays, traffic is no problem.
by Uji rate this post as useful

more info requested 2008/9/13 10:50
Thanks Uji San.

Pls let me know how much it would cost to rent a car from Odawara (based on perday). I would consider your suggestion and drive from Odawara to Hakone/Mt Fuji. Also, pls let me know the web site for car rental in Odawara. Thanks for the help.
by Tay rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/13 12:38
Compact cars typically cost about 6000 yen per 24 hour period. Discount services like Tocoo are cheaper. Most rental companies have an outlet around Odawara Station. You can get links on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread