Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

appropriate to bring gifts? try to speak? 2008/9/13 04:26
I will be traveling to Japan form the U.S. soon and want to know if it is appropriate to bring gifts to business associates I will meet for the first time, translators and guides that work for the company too. If so when should I give the gift? When I first meet them or when leaving? I have mixed feelings about this because on previous trips to Japan, I've felt gifts induce an obligation on the receiver who feels he must go out and get you a gift too. Any suggestions?
Also, if you know very basic Japanese is it appropriate to try to speak it in business situations or does this make people uncomfortable? Inpatient?
by bones  

. 2008/9/13 09:34
All your questions depend on your purposes and situations.

But generally speaking, it is common for local business visitors to bring a souvenior from home. This will typically be a box of sweets/snacks to be presented upon arrival and shared among all workers you are dealing with, which usually is a certain section in the company.

If you wish to send gifts to thank indivisual people for something special they've done/they'd do, typically they are handed as you leave for good. I've done some interpreting in the past and some people give me small ornaments and some people give me nothing. It doesn't make a difference to me. It's just that if I recieve something I'll treasure it with good memories.

I've seen a TV program where an interpreter showed a very valuable gift she once recieved. In the show, a connoisseur commented that the interpreter must have done an extremely good and important job. It's that sort of a deal.

"I have mixed feelings about this because on previous trips to Japan, I've felt gifts induce an obligation on the receiver who feels he must go out and get you a gift too."

If the gift is valuable that is true to a certain extent. You can show us some examples to get a better view on this issue.

If you know very basic Japanese, it would be great to speak it, but I'm not sure what "business situations" you are talking about. For example, if you take too much time trying to express in Japanese during a fast meeting, participants can naturally be irritated, while if it's during a business lunch or a press interview, that would be entertaining. Perhaps you can ask your interpreter for advise.

Have a nice time.
by Uco rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/9/13 09:45
That's great advice. Some examples would be: I was thinking of some small food gifts around 8 dollars from my home state as well as a nice silver and/or leather business card case value around 50 US dollars.
by bones rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/13 11:45
The 8 dollars food would be appropriate for everybody at office snack time, while the 50 dollars card case sounds something very special aimed for one or two important people. Unless the card case is some kind of an award, in Japan it would be appropriate to at least send a gift in return that cost half the card case value.

But when the sender is an important person, sending valuable gifts do become the norm, even though you know they're going to give something back.

I wonder if someone with more experience would like to correct me.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Appreciated Business Gifts 2008/9/15 21:41
One of the most appreciated gifts we gave to business associates in Japan were handmade chocolates from my sister and brother-in-law's French pastry shop. There are excellent chocolatiers and imported chocolates in Tokyo, but they're very expensive.
by Ms rate this post as useful

reply to this thread