Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Moving to Hirakata, tips for a student? 2008/9/14 05:38
Hi Japan Guiders!

After two awesome trips to Japan in the last year, I have applied to study at Kansai Gaidai in their Asian Studies program from next January.

Can any one tell me a bit about Hirakata? I have done some research and found some good blogs, but any further info would be great.

Is it more like a small city or a little town? I just want an idea of what to expect.

Also, could anyone tell me the commute times from both Kyoto or Osaka. I will check hyperdia but first hand experience is valuable and everyone on here has been amazing on my other adventures.

Kind regards,

R.
by Kansai Gaidai, Hirikata  

Kansai Gaidai and Hirakata 2008/9/14 09:58
My son was a student at Kansai Gaidai two years ago. He initially went for the fall semester but had such a great experience that he extended his stay for the full year. The campus is new and beautiful. Hirakata is a large town with many shops, restaurants and residential areas. It is well located between Kyoto and Osaka, probably less than an hour to each by train. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
by mcsl rate this post as useful

Hirakata 2008/9/14 13:15
Keihan Railway, a private railway company, provides direct access to central Osaka and Kyoto. Travel time is less than 30 minutes and cost is about 300yen.

There are any kinds of shops around Hirakatashi station, from a large supermarket, DVD stores to a department stores. You can get whatever neccessaly in your daily life in Hirakata.

You can hike in the low mountains in northen Osaka if you feel like it too.

by Ts rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2008/9/16 12:38
Thank you both for your helpful answers, I really appreciate it.

R.
by R. rate this post as useful

about Hirakata 2008/9/16 15:26
google Hirakata and you will get lots of pages about that town!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

f 2008/9/16 15:28
It's 320yen from Hirakatashi station to Yodabashi in Osaka, but unless you want to walk a while, you'll probably want to pay 200 yen for the subway to Shinsaibashi or Yodoyabashi. It takes just over half an hour.
by ra rate this post as useful

Hirakata 2008/9/17 18:54
Hi there! Im an aussie living in Hirakata, and it is a great little city! It has everything you need, and is in the middle of Osaka and Kyoto. Its only about 45min-1 hour from Kobe too! If you want to know anything more specific, dont hesitate to ask :)
by Sar rate this post as useful

Are you a student or teacher? 2008/9/17 19:33
Hi Sar!

I was wondering what you do in Hirikata. Also, out of interest, where are you from? I'm from the Blue Mountains (About one hour from Sydney).

Are there a lot more gaijin in Hirikata than other Japanese cities you have been to?

living in Hirakata 2008/9/18 08:24
Im from Qld, the good old GC. Havent been to the Blue Mts, but i hear its a nice area.
I teach english to 3-12 year olds - something a little different! there arent too many Gaijin up here, but everyone is really friendly, and its an easy city to find your way round etc

Gold Coast, sweet! 2008/9/18 09:40
I love the Gold Coast. I stay at Burleigh heads whenever I head up. It's so nice.

My application is up and running, I just have to fill in my medical.

Oh, does Hirikata have a daiso? (100 yen shop?)I love daiso.

cheap student airfares 2008/9/18 21:13
Students can avail cheap airfares for their travel, if they are going for abroad studies. They can avail special packages as well as discounts on their study packages. If they take care on choosing such airline, they can really enjoy that opportunity. Internet is always ready to help them..Thank you!
by BradAlexzander rate this post as useful

i live in hirakata. 2008/9/18 21:55
There is a daiso in front of the station! Hirakata is safty and friendly city so I hope you will like this city!! I think there are many foreigners in Hirakata than other place of Osaka because there is a Kansai gaidai.
by nh rate this post as useful

Hirakata 2008/9/19 21:30
There is a couple of great 100Yen shops near the station that i shop at all the time! Do you know anyone here yet? The forum is a great way to meet people in the local area.

Wooo! Daiso! 2008/9/20 18:03
I'm so happy to hear that there is a daiso is Hirikata. I have been to both Kyoto and Osaka, but this will be my first time to Hirikata. I have also visited Tokyo twice, so I think I'll be okay coming over by myself. Last time I came over (June) I came for 3 weeks by myself, and that went really well.

I'm still waiting to see if I've been accepted to Kansai Gaidai. I'll be sure to post and let you all know.

I will also use the board to meet some of you, as long as I get in.

Thanks heaps for all of your help, and keep the tips running!

Sento... or better,onsen? 2008/9/23 11:14
I just had another thought, does anyone know any sento in Hirikata? I'm crazy for the Japanese baths but my accomodation doesn't have one (sigh). I can't live without my baths!

Dont worry 2008/9/23 17:36
I googled and found 3 sentos around Kansai Gaidai Univ, called Yamato Onsen, Nyuju Onsen, and Niiju Onsen. The Univ staff will know about them.

by Ts rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/9/23 19:41
Ts, thank you so much. I guesss you must have found them by Japanese search, I couldn't find them through English.

Thanks again.

Is anyone on here a Kansai Gaidai student/ alumni?

Kansia Gaidi 2008/9/24 03:19
My sister spent 9 months there as a college exchange student from the US back in 1990. She loved it, had a great experience. I will see if she will post some advice/info.
by cf rate this post as useful

Former Kansai Gaidai Student 2008/9/24 07:34
Congrats! What a great school! I was a student there about 15 years ago so I am sure quite a bit has changed but there are a few basics to know: depending on where you are from affects what you would call it - to me Hirakata is a smaller city within a very large suburban area situated between two big cities. To me the city never really ends - it just runs together from Osaka to Kyoto. The school is not right in downtown Hirakata either. The walk to the train station is about 10 to 15 minutes. You can also catch a bus into downtown Hirakata proper and then grab the train. I advise a bike if you can afford one. It is a great way to go explore! I had a friend who brought her rollerblades and it worked great! Try to live with a "homestay" family instead of at the dorm. Most everyone in the dorm speaks English all the time so you will get a better feel for the culture and learn much more by living with a family. I hope this helps! Good luck!
by Carol rate this post as useful

Bike for sure! 2008/9/24 09:04
Thanks Carol, I've factored buying a bike in to my budget now! I was thinking about it and it seems it would be really useful... besides,everyone in Japan seems to have one. I come from a relatively quiet area inn Australia, so I thinkI'll probably find it more to bea small city than a town, I guess... I'll find out when I get there!

Did the student who stayed in the dorms have any problems? I'm a little scared of doing homestay because I only have low level Japanese skills (e.g. my name is..., where is..., I'll have... etc)! It's such a big adventure!

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread