Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese washing machines... 2008/9/15 18:55
I once saw in a japanese drama(binbou danshi) that there are like public washing machines in Japan(like vending machines...)can anyone explain me how does it works or where can i find thouse vending washing machines?
by ally  

laundromats 2008/9/16 14:00
Lots of countries have those, here they're called "Laundromats" Australia and US at least both have them.

Sometimes backpackers have coin-operated washers as well.
by Patrick-Australia rate this post as useful

laundromats 2008/9/16 14:34
Definitely not only in Japan- do you not have laundromats in your country? They are called "coin laundries" here, they are usually found on quiet streets in the suburbs and are extremely boring places to visit- just a row of ordinary, often quite old-looking washing machines with a coin slot attached.

by Sira rate this post as useful

The correct answer is... 2008/9/16 15:30
Q. "How do they work"
A. They are electric.
You place the clothes to be washed in the hole at the top, add soap powder or liquid. Shut lid. Place coins in slot provided and push slide in to accept coins. Wait for it to finish. Remove clothes. Place in dryer, also coin operated. Or take them home wet to hang up.
What planet are you from ?
by RodW rate this post as useful

washers 2008/9/16 15:40
RodW gave a very good explanation but there are also front loading machines (the most common type for home washing machines outside North America and for industrial machines in most countries (in my workplace in Canada we have $ 50 000 front loading machines washing a 50 lbs per load). Regardless of the type some machines accept coins, other cards, but it is pretty intuitive. I used washing machines in several Japanese hotels that had instructions in Japanese only and they worked fine. Do you mind telling us where you are coming from? as public laundries are found in many countries around the world.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

KISS 2008/9/16 18:26
RodW has a front loader for environmental considerations but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

front loaders common? 2008/9/16 18:33
"there are also front loading machines (the most common type for home washing machines outside North America"

Are you sure? Top loaders are by far the most common type in Japan and New Zealand.

top-loader 2008/9/16 20:13
yes...usually it is the Dryers which are front loaders.
These places have been around for a long time...they may be called "Laundrets" in UK.
Some people have met their life partners in them, but yes, in general they are lonely places with a few free local newspapers scattered around to pass the time with.

@ Sira 2008/9/16 21:13
"Are you sure? Top loaders are by far the most common type in Japan and New Zealand"

I've read that front loaders are the far more common type in Europe while in the US there are mostly top loading washing machines (though due to higher effeciency front loaders seem to be getting more popular there as well). But you're right I've never seen a front loader in Japan as well, except for coin laundries.

Here's an article about the pros and cons of both types:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washing_machine#Top_loading_ver...
by kaya rate this post as useful

Going way OT here 2008/9/16 21:21
From observation I would say that neither Japan or NZ have a water shortage. In fact the two countries are geographically speaking very similar. I mention water shortages because front loaders use about one third the amount of water as do top loaders making them the better choice where water is scarce EG Australia. The disadvantage is they take three times as long to do the wash. Front loaders are also very common in homes where space is at a premium as the dryer can sit right on top. In fact some washers are now capable of doing both jobs.
When in Japan I always stay at Toyoko Inns. I love the fact that for Y200 I can wash my clothes in the lobby and not have to troop around looking for a laundry or pay through the nose for the hotel service.
Front loaders should be common in NZ. Fisher and Paykel make enough of them there.

Kiwi washing machines 2008/9/16 22:00
Surprisingly enough the reservoirs can get low in New Zealand in late summer and early autumn when it is relatively dry- there are often hose bans at that time of the year. Nothing like the scale of Australia's droughts though, and since it can rain every day for most of winter the problem is usually resolved by August some time :-)

Actually for all I know Fisher and Paykel front loaders have overtaken top loaders by now- I've been overseas for a long time.

Who'd have thought a discussion about washing machines would be so popular... (-o-;)

. 2008/9/16 22:42
For what its worth in Western Tokyo the place here has top loader washers and front loader dryers.

LOL, interesting discussion, I never thought about before.
Its like to you fasten then zip or zip then fasten (but thats a whole other topic).
by John rate this post as useful

washers 2008/9/17 03:31
Perhaps the front loaders aren't as common in Japan as I thought but I have seen them in friends homes and in stores. I have brochures I got last fall at Yodobashi Umeda: one is a Sharp-and it comes in 3 different colours-the other one is a Sanyo Aqua. Front loaders, without an agitator, save a lot of water and because they spin faster (in Europe they spin between 1000 and 2000 rpm)than top loaders the clothes are less wet when they leave the washer and require less drying time.
by Red frog rate this post as useful

washing 2008/9/17 10:07
Funny, occurs to me there was a Japanese identity mentioned and referred to in some old American TV shows as "Washing Machine Charlie".

I am showing my age, but this made me think of that.

washing machines 2008/9/24 02:33
Any of these washing machines close to the shinagawa station?
by rj rate this post as useful

washing 2008/9/25 03:44
If your hotel is in Shinagawa your best bet is to ask the hotel staff for the address of the nearest laundromat.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/26 06:13
If you happen to be staying at the Toyoko Inn (or similar business hotel), washing machines and dryers are available at Lobby level.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread