Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nami Chan 2008/9/16 23:16
I want to know the kanji symbol for "Chan"
My friend's name is Namiko "奈美子" and I want to know how to write Nami Chan.

Thanks.
by Gusmiko  

. 2008/9/17 07:37
There is no Kanji for "chan." You need to write it in Hiragana or Katakana--Hiragana is more common.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

Nami Chan 2008/9/17 07:39
Hiragana or Katakana

So what would it be in either one?
by Gusmiko rate this post as useful

Nami Chan 2008/9/17 07:41
I meant to say "either way"
Thank you so much.

I'd say go with hiragana.. 2008/9/17 07:59
奈美ちゃん
by AK rate this post as useful

Many thanks 2008/9/18 00:44
Than you all for your wonderful help.

careful 2008/9/18 02:07
just be careful. if you are a man she may not like it unless you two are pretty friendly with eachother/know eachother well. chan can have a kind of negative image associated with it for some people.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Very close 2008/9/18 02:11
Thank you winterwolf, we are pretty close. I meant to say she's my girlfriend at the beggining. I just want to surprise her with all these.
Again, thank you so much to all of you.

In what sense? 2008/9/18 02:13
"chan can have a kind of negative image associated with it for some people".
Sorry, in what sense can this be?

... 2008/9/18 18:14
Gusmiko,

I would say if it's between a couple, it should be OK :)

It's just that this "-chan" is somewhat belittling, so it *could* sound condescending, like a grown-up talking to a child, depending on the people and situation. For example, if my boss ever called me "(my first name)-chan," that would VERY MUCH sound like he is not taking me seriously as a worker, but just any girl that can be replaced by another. I would feel offended.

Because of this "belittling" image, some women might prefer not to be called that among friends... but I think it comes across as a term of endearment (it's like "my cute Namiko" or "my little Namiko" in a way) in a couple. Say it/use it with your girlfriend, and see if she likes you call you that way or not :)
by AK rate this post as useful

I understand now 2008/9/18 23:04
Thank you all for your wonderful help.

reply to this thread