Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa college to tourist 2008/9/17 22:10
Help please, mi visa expires in two weeks. From the 27 i have no place to live, but i do have school. Before I pay for a room I need to change my visa from college to tourist to stay for 3 months.Its easier to change to tourist cause I am not alolowed to work, i think. Do someone knows how long will it take and what papers do I need?? Please, i am kind of desperate. I only have two week.
by Rei  

... 2008/9/18 18:45
I am a bit lost - are you saying that your course with the school has not been completed but your student visa is expiring, meaning, somehow the original student visa you got was too short? Or are you extending your studies by another three months?

If you are from a country where Temporary Visitor Status is given to its citizens to enter Japan (meaning you can just come with your passport and can enter to stay for 3 months), then I think it should be easy, but you will probably need to show that you have enough money to stay for additional three months doing sightseeing without any part-time work (allowed under student visa, but not under temporary visitor status).

If you are from a country without this Temporary Visitor Statu agreement, you might need additional papers (just like you would apply for Tourist visa from outside Japan), but we would not know about this without knowing your nationality.
by AK rate this post as useful

- 2008/9/18 23:41
I mean, my school ends in september and my visa too. I suddenly decided to extend for 2 months more. Its a little mendokusai if I try to extend my college visa (allowed to work) so I am thinking in doing it under temporary visitor. (yup, country with agreement) But what papers do I need (like bank statements?) and usually how long does the process take? In case I dont get my visa I have to be out of here before October. :(
by Rei rate this post as useful

reply to this thread