Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone and Nikko 2008/9/18 23:26
Hi,

My friends and I are planning to go to Hakone and Nikko (from Tokyo) on the 2 and 3rd January. I heard that most places will be closed during the new years period, but I would like to know if most tourist attractions in Nikko and Hakone be closed then too (excluding museums)?
by KC  

... 2008/9/19 07:33
Most of Nikko's attractions are shrines and temples, which are open throughout the year and which can be expected to be very crowded by hatsumode ("first visit of the year") visitors:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

As for the other attractions, I think you have to look them up one by one. My guess is that theme parks will generally be open, while museums will generally be closed. Especially between December 29 and January 4.

Some shops and restaurants might also be closed, especially on January 1.

Transportation is running as usual or even with additional services.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/9/19 08:15
Thank you very much for your help. I will look up the sites if I can find them.
by KC rate this post as useful

hakone 2008/9/19 08:43
You are aware that the two cities are in nearly completely opposite directions from Tokyo, correct? I'm not sure why you would go to those two places on consecutive days. Going to Kamakura and Hakone on consecutive days makes more sense.
by acase rate this post as useful

reply to this thread