Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the name Cat Daddy in Kanji how to write 2008/9/20 10:50
would I use the kanji for neko otousan. A radio dj nick name is cat daddy, he wants a tatoo in kanji.
by Jewel  

... 2008/9/20 19:40
Unfortunately it would not look cool, I must say. Phrases like Cat Daddy simply does not translate well - if someone has that in Japanese tattoo, people would wonder, "what, is this guy saying he is a cat, though he looks like a human?" or "does he love cats or maybe he's a cat breeder?" kind of thing.

"otousan" is "father" when you are talking about someone else's father with respect, for another thing.
by AK rate this post as useful

Cat Daddy 2008/9/20 23:08
For the record I agree with everything AK said, but I don't think Cat Daddy sounds very cool in English either but anyway, to answer your question it would be: 猫お父さん Or you can drop お to make it neko tousan.
by TheRage800 rate this post as useful

Neko Oyaji 2008/9/21 01:17
How about 猫親父 (Neko Oyaji) ?
by Hiro rate this post as useful

nice, hiro 2008/9/21 15:05
yes, 猫親父 is cool. or 猫旦那 (nekodanna) which may mean neko master.
by Eitaro rate this post as useful

cat daddy 2008/9/21 23:35
thanks for all your answers, I will give him your imput. I was wondering if I just used neko and Daddy in katakan. I dont know a lot of dj us cat daddy here in the USA. Daddy meaning Big Person, Cat I dont know why they use cat. it is like "Snoop Dog" Sounds good, but no real meaning
by jewel rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/22 00:18
As mentioned Japanese there's different ways to say dad, if you are referencing someone else's dad or your dad. Does he really want it in Kanji just for the cool factor or something, because in reality if a Japanese person read it, they'd be confused.
by John rate this post as useful

translating 2008/9/22 01:30
Jewel, calling someone--a guy--a cat, a hip cat, a cool cat etc. in the USA goes back to several generations ago! the jazz age I think. As several posters have said you can't translate an idiom or slang or..from one language to another language.Chances are that it doesn't have the same meaning at all in the other language or will be weird. For example an important person used to be called a big cheese in the USA. Translate that in French, Italian etc. and they don't get it.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

猫親父 2008/9/22 08:25
Neko oyaji (猫親父) is probably the best suggestion, although it doesn't exactly translate the shades of meaning in the original.
by alexvii rate this post as useful

If only for a laugh... 2008/9/22 08:49
I still do not recommend it because it does not translate, but having 猫親父 would be a good conversation starter with Japanese people... lol people would want to ask you why he has that thing on his arm, does he keep a bunch of cats, or what.... he should get ready with a good story how he got that name!
Note that the smartness generally associated with "cat" in English is not there in Japanese... it would sound more like someone fat and relaxed and curled up and napping constantly.

Cat Daddy Kanji 2008/9/26 09:59
Yeah, now in the USA it is cool to have Japanese writing on a tatoo. That is why I said maybe neko in Kanji and Daddy in Katakan. To all my Japanese friends a lot of english sayings printed on Japanese clothes and items a lot of times the grammer is all messed up. Thanks to all that responded. It is just to look cool over here in the USA

. 2008/9/26 16:05
At least you're checking.

A lot of the stuff people get written in Japanese or Kanji is jibberish sometimes. Like someone gets Chinese characters tattooed on their arm, and an actual Japanese person or chinese person reads it and is like "what is that?"
by John rate this post as useful

neko namae 2008/9/26 16:08
You're all a creative lot. Maybe 'cool cat' would be good.
ochitsuita (calm) neko (cat)
by rhubarb rate this post as useful

Cool Cat/ Cat Daddy 2008/9/27 10:03
Rhubarb I have to say I like Cool Cat a lot. Thanks see it just takes asking the right person. What do you all think, JohN, AK, alexuiii, sensei 2, about Cool Cat? Tell me what you think. Jewel
Rhubarb can you write it in Kanji and mail it to me at: RL Griffen Show, KKDA
PO BOX 530860, GRAND PRAIRIE TX 75053-0860 USA. I'd appreciate it.
by Jewel rate this post as useful

... 2008/9/27 10:58
Jewel,

The suggestion made by Rhubarb does not mean the same thing as "cool cat" in English. The word "ochitsuita" means cool in the sense of "calm," "settled down," and does NOT come with the smartness of the English word "cool" at all. Here is another pitfall of direct translation...

Cat Daddy in Kanji 2008/9/29 10:23
AK ok, i get your point. What about translating "The Father of all Cats" Would that translate better. Thanks for your response.
by Jewel rate this post as useful

Maybe... 2008/9/29 23:50
Maybe just have your friend get a cool or hip looking picture of a cat tattoed to him and then underneath that have the words 親父 or お父さん written?

Personally I think 親父 (Oyaji) sounds cooler...
by Gaijinjland rate this post as useful

cat daddy 2008/10/1 09:06
kool translate

... 2008/10/1 09:17
Jewel,
Even though I am generally against kanji tattoos if you don't understand the precise meaning and nuances of the phrase, if your friend *must* get a kanji tattoo, then I think 猫親父 would still be better and sounds/looks more humorous than trying "Father of all cats" :)

Cool cat 2008/10/3 16:44
I glad you liked that. I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the others, but I did mean cool to mean calm, as cats are calm.
by Rhubarb rate this post as useful

reply to this thread