Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Antiques Market, Oedo or Togo? 2008/9/21 04:22
Hi all,
I will be in Tokyo the beginning of November. I have one Sunday (the first one) devoted to doing an antiques market. I have heard the 2 biggest are the Oedo at the Tokyo International Forum and the Togo shrine one. Both on the first Sunday of the month. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of which one would be bigger and better to go to? I will be primarily browsing and looking for antique metalwork and Japanese sword fittings. I know all the markets have a little of this. last time I did the Yasukuni shrine market, but i think either of these 2 should be bigger. Any comments would be much appreciated. I do know o all the other shops and sources for these items, so am primarily looking for info on the antiques markets right now.

Thanks,
Nihonto
by Nihonto  

markets 2008/9/21 09:11
"I have heard the 2 biggest are the Oedo at the Tokyo International Forum and the Togo shrine one."

The Togo Shrine Market is not what it once was. These days, it is only half the size, so the Oedo at the Tokyo International Forum is much, much better and bigger.

If you wish to go to another market, there is the Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine market. It is usually held the 1st & 2nd Sundays of the month. This is a large market with lots of atmosphere.
3 min. walk from Monzen-Nakacho Station on the Tozai subway Line
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/9/22 03:12
Thank you Sandy, that is very helpful. I will check out the Tomioka Hachimangu Shrine one too.
It seems as though Ueno Park also has their Autumn flea/antiques market the whole of November, but I am unable to confirm or deny this.
Does the Yasukuni Jinja market happen every Sunday, or only selected ones? I know most webpages say it is selected Sundays, but a year ago it did seem as though it was every Sunday.

Regards,
Nihonto
by Nihonto rate this post as useful

reply to this thread