Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Japan - how would it be? 2008/9/23 05:17
Hello Everyone, I'm looking for help from "gaijins" living in Japan. My husband and I are hesitating weather to move to Japan or not (he's Japanese, I'm not. I speak Japanese.)
I would like to hear positive and negative experience, how you deal with differences.
As I hear working in Japan is hard - too much overtime and just a few days off a year - how does it affect family life? We have small children...

Thank you for your help.
by Kyushu Mom  

... 2008/9/23 08:30
In my experience, it mostly depends on your attitude and your environment.

If you are positive, open to embrace a different culture, accept different values and, in case you do not look Japanese, accept being a member of a small minority in a culturally homogeneous country, then you will attract the positiveness of the people around you, and enjoy your stay in Japan.

However, if you are unable to accept different values, closed to trying new things and, in case you do not look Japanese, can't deal with sticking out, then you will have a tough time.

The environment is the next important factor. If you have a good job and good friends around you, then your chances are good to be happy in Japan. However, if your professional environment is bad or you are only hanging around other expats, who do nothing but complain about their lives in Japan, then you are more likely to have troubles.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/9/23 10:40
Thanks, Uji. I consider myself a very positive person, and I have a strong willingness to move to Japan, it just worries me that I base all feelings about Japan on vacations.

by Kyushu Mom rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/23 11:11
As a parent you also have to consider about your kids to.

1. Why move to Japan.
2. Are your career options in a good work field. As you mentioned, overtime, depends on the job and what you plan in working for. / Career outlook, what are you doing now, and can you get paid more and advance more in Japan, especially with a family?
3. Kids going to school, do you want them going to a regular Japanese school, or an international school ($$$$) if you live in a big city.
4. How your kids might adapt.

I think its easier for a single person or even sometimes a couple to make up their minds, but I can imagine its just a little harder when you already have a family and established.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread