Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Supermarket Hours 2008/9/24 02:00
Can someone tell me what are the operating hours of supermarkets in department store's basement? In particular, I'm keen to know about Kyoto Station's supermarket as I hope to grab some nibbles before hopping onto the 10.30am train to Narita. I'm hoping it opens earlier than department store hours.
by lsee  

no problem getting nibbles 2008/9/24 08:26
Typically, supermarkets are open at least during 10:00am to 6:00pm except on their days off which are usually during weekdays. Some start earlier and close later.

But major stations almost always have kiosks and even convenience stores that are open starting rush hours, and they are better at handling nibbles fit for travellers. In particular, Kyoto Station has a building with various malls, and for example, in a basement mall called Porta, shops like Subway sells American sandwiches starting 7:30am.

Btw, I assume you are taking the Shinkansen to Tokyo and then to Narita Airport instead of flying to Narita or taking international flights from Kansai Airport closer to Tokyo.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks Uco 2008/9/24 11:01
Yes, we're taking the 4hr shinkansen to Narita, via Shinagawa, to catch our 6pm international flight. We'll take the 10.30am train from Kyoto Station in case there's any hiccups along the way, then there'll be time for contingency plan.

Bottomline, not to miss our flight!
by lsee rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/24 14:33
There's a supermarket inside Kyoto Station? I don't recall ever seeing one, but its been a while since I've been.

I know certainly there are many stores, food stores, and I think a food department with the department store, but don't recall seeing a supermarket.

Unless we both have different definition of what a supermarket is. Normal supermarket hours (not in stations but serving neighborhoods) usually run from 10am (some earlier) to 10-11pm (the one near my home closes past midnight).

The department store food floors in the station or outof stations however has different earlier closing hours.

But as I mentionedyou should be ok, there are also many Kiosks that sell food as well, or if you want security, shop the night before as well.
by John rate this post as useful

? 2008/9/25 10:44
John, I don't know who you mean by "we" but no one here has mentioned that there is a supermarket in Kyoto Station. Or perhaps there was something wrong with my English usage. I'm not really a native speaker.

But since you mentioned, I just double checked and noticed that there is indeed a fresh food market in the basement of Isetan Department Store inside Kyoto Station Building.
http://www.wjr-isetan.co.jp/Kyoto/

my apologies 2008/9/25 10:59
I was indeed referring to the Isetan food basement. Thanks for the Isetan link. Just saw that it opens at 10am. Guess we'll just have to grab lunch on board the shinkansen. Hope it won't be overpriced?

buy off-board 2008/9/25 15:05
lsee, I don't know why you are planning to buy lunch on board the Shinkansen when there are so many shops opening earlier. Indeed, on board the Shinkansen, food is not only over-priced but lack variety.

As I mentioned at the beginning, there are stalls at the platform, at the lobby inside the ticket gate, and a lot more in the mall in the same Station Building as Isetan.

If you have any kind of particular food in mind other than the Subway sandwiches I told you about, you can tell us and someone may be able to find it from the Japanese website for you. Otherwise, your accomodation can find it for you, I'm sure.
http://www.kyoto-station-building.co.jp/index.htm

Thanks Uco 2008/9/25 17:38
Yes, will probably buy from the stalls you mentioned.

. 2008/9/25 20:30
John, I don't know who you mean by "we"
Uco, by "We" I was referring to Me. and Isee.

but no one here has mentioned that there is a supermarket in Kyoto Station.

first post:

In particular, I'm keen to know about Kyoto Station's supermarket

I was referring to that I don't ever recall seeing a supermarket in Kyoto station, and maybe "we"( Isee and myself) have a different interpretation of what a supermarket is vs foodfloor, or if they were really looking for a department foodfloor vs. neighborhood supermarket.

. 2008/9/25 20:37
On the food matter I agree, and either shop at one of the shops in the station or even around the station if you have time the day/night before. Or you can always get fast food to go, though not sure if that is your palette.

Thank you, John 2008/9/26 16:14
Thank you, John. I suppose I had misread the original post. But thank goodness it doesn't affect my answers to the original question. Sorry for the fuss.

reply to this thread