Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Photograhy Restrictions 2008/9/25 05:25
Hello, I will be in Japan in a few wks time and was wondering if there are any restrictions when it comes to private photography? Obviously some temples/shrines museums have prohibited areas, but I was wondering if it was ok to whip out a camera in train stations/ train cars/airports etc?
I just don't want to be surprised when a guard pops up and wants my camera card/film!
by photogal  

Re: Photograhy Restrictions 2008/9/25 06:06
Areas were it is forbidden to photograph are always clearly indicated by the crossed out camera symbol. The use of flash photography is usually indicated separately.
I've taken photos in train stations and trains without running into trouble and I have seen many other tourists do the same. I beleive that airports are off limits.
I would not photograph kids, at least not without their parents permission, and would ask people to pose in general if you would like to take their photo. A smile and just showing your camera usually meets with a favourable reaction. If only they could stop making that 'V' sign when posing ^_^;;
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Photography restrictions 2008/9/25 07:41
Photogal,

Mostly echoing what Kappa wrote, there is no problem photographing in stations and on trains, but flash photography is generally considered a no-no on station platforms due to the possibility of temporarily dazzling drivers. If you give off the aura of a friendly tourist or photographer, people will mostly be happy to pose or smile for you, but as anywhere, you should really ask before taking people's photos.
Airports are also mostly OK. It's just the security check and immigration areas that have signs up prohibiting photography.
Note that banks and department stores also generally have signs up prohibiting photography.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

shops 2008/9/25 08:33
One of the places that all tourists would be interested in taking picutures but is off-limits to photography is stores. Most supermarkets and department stores prohibit photography, and this I believe is to protect rights of their merchandise and design.

But a lot of locals nowadays use their cell phone cameras to take quick photographs of products they want to consider buying, and I haven't seen anyone getting in trouble for this. Also, shopkeepers would gladly pose when they're asked to.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/25 17:03
While there are generally no restrictions about photography in regards to trains and stuff, as mentioned, avoid using the flash as it can disorient staff and passengers who might be walking on the platform, I know flashes make me dizzy. Also taking photos without their permission is annoying, I mean fine if you want to, but I just get annoyed when someone starts flickering photos inside a train car.
by John rate this post as useful

great thread 2008/9/26 05:30
I am gonna have to remember this stuff

I hope the big main stores allow filming/camcorder

I have a book to ask that question in JPN if need be anyway
by Abhi B rate this post as useful

don't take pictures in stores 2008/9/26 15:42
most stores prohibit photographs unless you're in a department store checking out the camera section. there are a few reasons cameras are prohibited but one of the main ones is that most people don't like to be photographed without permission.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Thanx 2008/9/27 02:26
Thanks for your replies!

Yeah they don't like it when you take pictures in stores in the US either!
I've managed to get some neat ones in grocery stores in Spain though!

I usually don't use a flash with any of my photos (I don't like the attention it brings!)

Can't wait to get some great shots!
by photogal rate this post as useful

Shooting OK 2008/10/15 08:33
Japan is very friendly when it comes to photographing trains. I was in Omiya and had to fight to get a space to take a few train pictures among the densha otaku.

I was amazed that even in the airports you could whip out a full sized dSLR with glass mounted in the terminals without a problem.

Places that prohibit photography are pretty clearly marked.
by Shashinka Ichiban rate this post as useful

Ask 2008/10/16 06:40
When at a temple, ask if photography is OK. All of the temples I went to said OK when I asked. However, it is my understanding that some do not allow photography in certain portions of the temple.
by cf rate this post as useful

Temples 2008/10/16 07:57
cf wrote:

When at a temple, ask if photography is OK.

I don't think this is really necessary, and at busy temples, staff would be overwelmed by people asking for permission. Some temples have signs up prohibiting photogaphy inside, but otherwise, there is no problem, and no need to ask.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread