Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which Passes to buy? 2008/9/25 09:47
Dear All,

I will be travelling to Japan on 16th Oct with my husband and a son who is 11 years. Kindly give me your advice on some itineraries and especially which travelling passes to purchase

16th Oct ・SIN/OSA (arriving around 08:30)
Leave luggage in hotel (Tennoji area). Head straight for Osaka Castle (should I? Since I will be going to Himeji Castle too). If it is not worth the visit perhaps I will go to Nara instead. Late afternoon to Osaka Bay and Festival Gate.
17th Oct - Depart for Nara in the morning. Spend a few hours there then take a train to Kyoto.
18th Oct - Depart for Himeji in the morning. Spend the rest of the day back in Kyoto.
19th Oct - Morning in Kyoto. Early afternoon take a train to Tokyo.
20th Oct - A day in Hakone/Mt Fuji area. Please advice how to go about if I want to visit the 5th Station around Mt Fuji, Hakone Open Air Art Museum, Owakudani and Lakes (which one to go?). If I will to use the Japan Rail Pass, what train should I take?
21st Oct - A day in Kamakura and Yokohama.
22nd Oct - A day in Tokyo.
23rd Oct - Morning depart for SIN from Narita Airport.

Now come the most confusing and headache part of the journey. Which pass should I buy?
 Should I purchase The Japan Rail Pass ・7 days. That means I will start using it on my 2nd day.
 Since I will only be visiting Kansai Area and Tokyo, or should I purchase a 3/4 days JR West Kansai Area Pass, as for Kyoto/Tokyo ・a one way ticket on Kodama or Hikari train (or am I eligible for Hikari Hayatoku Kuppu, I understand you need to purchase this ticket one week in advance) and a NEX and Suica Pass in Tokyo?
 For NEX and Suica Pass, can I use it for my departure TYO (Shinjuku) to Narita Airport? Can I purchase this ticket outside the airport and where? I understand I can have a refund of the deposit ・500 from the Suica Pass what about the remaining amount if not use? To claim the refund, is it at the airport? Can this pass be use for travelling to Kamakura and Yokohama?

If you have a better suggestion, please advice. Thank you so much!

by SL  

Lets see 2008/9/28 06:18

If you are going to Himeji castle and do not have a lot of time then skip Osaka castle.
A JR pass will get you to Mishima or Odawara for Hakone. It's bus from there.
Never been to Fuji, always been happy to view from afar, can't help.
Suica will certainly get you around Yokohama and Kamakura. The refund is all unused fare plus around 300Y of the deposit.
JR will get you to Nara as well.
You can work it out for yourself at
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi
it will give you all the fares for you to calculate the best deal.

by RodW rate this post as useful

suggestions 2008/9/28 13:00
You aren't spending that much time in Kyoto so why not stay in your first hotel in Osaka and commute to Nara, Kyoto, Himeji etc. Osaka is Kansai main city and the hub for all the various railways. Another thing:the day you go to Nara I don't think that you will be able to do much sightseeing afterwards. I find that it always takes much longer than one think to go around tourists sights in Japan and by the end of the day we need to rest a couple of hours before going out again for a meal etc. Nara park, for example, has several temples within a rather wide area, meaning lots of walking,and there is also, past the pond, a couple of streets with old houses. it is easy to spend 6 hrs just for that "mini-tour"!
visiting Himeji castle and its gardens, plus the other beautiful garden in the back, plus exploring the town a bit takes a good 4 hrs at least, not including travelling time.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

.. 2008/10/1 03:02
Thanks RobW and Monkeysee for the information.
by SL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread