Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass and kansai area pass? 2008/9/26 04:03
JR pass and kansai area pass - should i get both?

I'm Staying in Osaka for 2 weeks and i'll be visiting Tokyo and Fukuoka. Also I would liek to visit Nara, kobe and some other places near to Osaka.

If I am just going to Tokyo and Fukuoka will I save money buying the 7day JR pass or should i just book the 2 journeys seperatly?

Is it worth buying the kansai area pass as well as the JR pass? I ask mainly because i'm not sure if I can use the JR pass easily to get from Osaka to Nara and other local areas.

Thanks so much for any help and advice!

by Alec  

... 2008/9/26 12:11
Buy 14day JR pass unless you travel to Tokyo and Fukuoka within 7 days.

Buy 7day JR pass and some regional Passes or 1day city passes if you travel to Tokyo and Fukuoka within 7 days.

Tourist destinations around Osaka accessbile by JR
-Kyoto
-Nara
-Kobe
-Himeji
etc.

not accessible ones
-Mt Koya
-Yoshino
by Ts rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/9/26 16:01
Thanks, I am planning on going to Tokyo and Fukuoka within 7 days.

For going to Nara from tokyo, is it easier to get the subway systems etc or a JR train? Am I right in saying the JR pass can't be used for innercity subway trains?

Thanks
by Alec rate this post as useful

some examples 2008/9/26 21:19
For going to Nara from tokyo, is it easier to get the subway systems etc or a JR train?
I guess you are going to Nara from Osaka or Kyoto, not from tokyo. There isnt so big a difference on how to get to Nara from Osaka/Kyoto. Here are some examples.

JR Namba(in downtown Osaka) to JR Nara: 45 mins, 540yen, no transfer.
Kintetsu Namba(private railway station) to Kintetsu Nara: 37 mins, 540yen, no transfer.

You can say almost the same thing on "Osaka-Kyoto", "Nara-Kyoto", "Osaka-Kobe" trips.

Am I right in saying the JR pass can't be used for innercity subway trains?
Yes, you are right.

ICOCA 2008/9/26 21:26
Get ICOCA if you decide not to buy passes but to buy single tickets. You can use it on virtually all the rail services(both JR, Subway and private Railways) used by a tourist in Kansai Region.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

thanks 2008/9/27 04:15
Thanks for the advice.

Yes sorry I did mean Osaka to Nara (not Tokyo to nara).

I will probably be moving around Osaka quite a bit bu local transport. Is it worth getting a pass for the subway system etc in Osaka? Is there one?

Thanks again!
by Alec rate this post as useful

Osaka One-Day Pass (850 Yen) 2008/9/28 01:06
Osaka One-Day Pass provides you with unlimited subway rides on a specific day. It pays off if you ride a subway 4 times a day and I think you will.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
http://www.kotsu.city.osaka.jp/foreign/english/ticket/index....
by ... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread