Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

amamioshima question 2008/9/29 14:39
has anybody been to amamioshima recently or are they from amami living in la.my question is how has amami changed nowadays from before .is there more people or is it unchanged .please let me know
by tora  

When is "before"? 2008/10/3 22:18
Today the population of Amamioshima seems to be about 68,600. The following website is quite picturesque.
http://amamicco.net/
by Uco rate this post as useful

before is 1990's 2008/10/4 08:45
i know that in the 60's the population was around 40,ooo .but i mean has the island changed from a country style to a tokyo style .i know the older people will always be the same but do the younger generation value the island life or are they becoming more modern,i heard that okinawa is very changed meaning that many of the younger genereation like the american styles.are you from amami if so what part.yhanks for answering ...tora
by tora rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/4 14:21
I'm not from Amami, but I was hoping you could guess how the island looks now from the photographs shown in the link. In general however, Japan (just as any country in the world) has changed greatly since the 1960s.

Actually, it's kind of difficult to explain how "people" of a certain location have changed or not, because change is in the eyes of the beholder.

For example, I do understand what you mean when younger Okinawans like "American styles" but every young person in the world today is showered with American music, American TV and American fashion. At the same time, Okinawa was returned from the U.S. to Japan in 1968. So in a way, it is less Americanized now than it was then. It's hard to say how uniquely Okinawa has changed or not. I suppose you can say the same thing about Amami.

Meanwhile there are plenty of English websites you can find by searching the keyword "Amami oshima" on the internet. Perhaps you can try contacting one of them. Also, the more specific your question is, the easier it might be to answer it.

Did you used to live in Amami in the 60s?

not the 60's 2008/10/4 18:32
actually im 34 born in 1974 but the reason i ask is because i plan to go visit my family and i just wanted to have a better understanding of amami so when i get there i can not waste time gettingto know my surroundings .i have visited many sites and i know in general what is there but was interested in other peoples opinions who have knowledge about amami.i havent been there in over 15 years so i wanted to be prepared for anything.because i know that amami is a small place it is nice to know that someone has an interest in my families hometown.do you live in los angeles ? i always am interested in other people who are interested in amami.anyways because i know that noone else (or rarely )will answer to this question i will ask to you personally what interests you or what do you like about amami ?how come you offer me so much information .i did check out the website but i cannot read japanese and i already know how beautiful the island is .i just am interested in learning anything anybody has to offer me about amami. also aNy thing about japan period.wouldnt mind making a new friend ne... let me know what you think...tora
by tora rate this post as useful

answers 2008/10/4 21:01
Tora wrote;
"do you live in los angeles ?"

No, I don't.

"i will ask to you personally what interests you or what do you like about amami ?"

I'm afraid I know too little about Amami to answer that question. I only know that it's an island in the south of Japan.

"how come you offer me so much information"

Because this japan-guide.com forum is a place where random viewers try to answer random questions. Your question was kept un-answered, so I thought I might give it a try and see how much I can help you within my free time. I didn't know you had already looked into the web.

I hope you find out what you need to know. Good luck.

reply to this thread