Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reserved seat 2008/9/30 14:00
My family of 6 are arriving in Tokyo early on Christmas morning and hoping to take the sleeper train to Okayama later that night. As I understand it we are not able to reserve a seat until our JR pass has been activated within the country and also not under 2 days in advance. Can anyone indicate what the chances of us are getting on given it is holiday season.
by robyn  

. 2008/9/30 15:06
Christmas Eve, Christmas, and the day after Christmas are all normal working days in Japan, increased travel for new year does not start until a few days later, so I think you should be ok with regular reservation.

However, the night train between Tokyo and Okayama if you riding one of the Sunrise trains from my understanding is usually booked holiday or no holiday, though personally it doesn't look like the most comfortable way to travel (for me).

Otherwise if you stay the night in Tokyo and catch the Shinkansen the next morning, I think you would be ok in getting a seat reservation, again the Holiday travel doesn't pick up until a bit after Christmas.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/1 08:53
December 24 and 25 is not really holiday season yet. The real rush does not start until December 27.

Nevertheless, the "Sunrise" night trains to Okayama seem to be popular trains even outside the holiday season, especially the nobinobi compartments, which can be used for free with the Japan Rail Pass. It is well possible that these compartments will be booked out by the time you come to Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

OK 2008/10/1 13:23
Thanks so much. We may need to rethink our plans.
by robyn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread