Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Line Drying Clothes 2008/10/1 10:43
I've read on different sites that in Japan people line dry clothing a different way than they do here. Could someone explain how it's done.

Also, is there any sites that sell the supplies from Japan used for line drying? Thanks in advance!
by carolie  

drying clothes 2008/10/1 14:52
Where is "here" i.e. where doyou live? and you do you line dry stuff? this would help ..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Very simple... 2008/10/1 19:23
All you need for line-drying Japanese style is a strong piece of cord, something to tie both ends to and some pegs- it's not a complicated operation! Oh, and reasonably fine weather ;-)

Some people use poles, and for small items or drying inside you might use a kind of rack, but none of this is very different from how it's done in my country (New Zealand).
by Sira rate this post as useful

line drying 2008/10/2 03:27
Yeah, this is the same in North America and Europe. Old houses in Canada have a pole standing in the back yard X metres from the house with another pole close to the home. the line is just over the side of the kitchen deck (several steps up from the ground) and there are pulleys on each post. That way the line -a double one obviously-- can be pulled by whoever put clothes on it in order to place or remove clothes while standing in one spot. Now THAT IS A TECHNICAL ADVANCE!Is the OP still around? would be nice to have some feedback.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

hmm... 2008/10/2 09:19
I live in Florida. I don't have a yard, just a tiny screened in patio. =/

I figured it be somewhat similar to how it's done everywhere else, but I've read on blogs that's it's a bit different. A quote from one was ''The Japanese rods for hanging clothes seem to be efficient in the sense that they don't leave a ''dent'' or ''fold'' in the clothes compared to if they were hung on a conventional line.'' Is there really a difference between the rods in Japan and the normal lines used? Dent-free clothes is what I'm after.

Also, I've seen in pics of a circular hanging device that has multiple clothes pins attached to it. I've looked at places like Bed, Bath, & Beyond but have yet to see anything similar. Does anyone know where to find them?
by carolie rate this post as useful

laundry 2008/10/2 09:49
I also live in a small apartment (in Tokyo) with a tiny balcony- I mostly hang my washing inside as there is a pole provided, suspended from the ceiling, although towels and things I put on the line on the balcony if it's fine. I was amazed at how few people in the States seem to line dry their washing, as in New Zealand we only use the dryer if it's raining and we absolutely must wash.

I think what you are referring to is the thin poles that some Japanese people use. They are varying thicknesses, but you need something to hold either end, so if your home doesn't come equipped with that kind of support, it could be tricky. You put the pole through the arm holes for example of all the tops you want to hang up, and then set-up the pole. Of course it doesn't leave dents, but depending on the item of clothing it can end up misshapen. A lot of people put tops on coathangers and then hang them on those poles instead.

As for the plastic hangers with pegs- the smaller ones are circular, bigger ones tend to be rectangular. I have one with about 30 pegs on it. They are found at very ordinary, lower-end department stores in Japan in the household goods section, and even at 100 yen stores (equivalent of a dollar store in the States). I would imagine you would be more likely to find one at Walmart than Bed, Bath and Beyond.

. 2008/10/2 10:42
I live in USA and I bought a circular hanging device made of plastic a few years ago. I think I got it at a dollar store. I never used it, though, as the quality was much poorer (what do you expect?) than the typical ones used in Japan.
by . rate this post as useful

sao-dake 2008/10/2 13:03
As mentioned, the most typical way of drying laundry in Japan is to hang them on poles. These poles are often so-called "sao-dake" literally meaning "pole bamboos," because in the days they were all made by bamboo. Nowadays they are mostly either plastic or stainless steel.

The poles are almost always 1 inch in diameter. Therefore, it won't leave any "lines" on your laundry as opposed to having it dried on strings or ropes.

Typically the Japanese use special holders to hold up these poles, but anything would do. You can hammer a "Y" shaped pole on the ground and place the laundry pole on top of it, or you can hang "V" shaped ropes on your roof and hang the poles through it.

Also, as in any country, manufacturers keep on inventing goodies such as hangers that don't make lines on your sweaters or colorful laundry pins that would keep the laundry on the pole even when the wind is strong.

Indeed, line drying differs depending on the country, which is really fun to research. But having lived in both the U.S. and Japan, I see little difference between these two countries.

Just for reference, I found a site that shows some of the typical tools used in Japan.
http://www.e-904.com/veranda-monohoshi4.htm

And some funky laundry pins that are unique even in Japan.
http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd/esearch/vc?sv=2&v=2&e=0&...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/10/2 20:18
Thank you very much, Sira & Uco for your detailed responses! (: Now that I have a better idea of how it's done, I'm definitely going to start line drying my clothes.
by carolie rate this post as useful

Great 2008/10/2 21:19
Good to hear it! It will reduce your electricity bill and help the environment
:-)

drying stuff 2008/10/3 01:04
To Sira..and others.The reason many American and Canadians don't have clotheslines is that--I don't know when it started--many towns or states (Provinces in Canada)have bylaws outlawing outside drying as "unsightly and reducing property values"... Lately, with all the concerns about the cost of energy, some cities etc. have allowed outside drying again. Of course some people, with a backyard screened from prying eyes by tall shrubs never stopped the practice.When I was growing up in Europe most modern apartment buildings had a drying balcony by the kitchen, on the back of the building. It was screened in such a way that you couldn't quite see the laundry --I think that the screen also prevented the clothes from flying away if there was a strong gust of wind--One last note: I read that, at one time--likely in the 1950s-- when everyone was still drying clothes outside in the USA underwear had to be hung inside a pillow case to dry as "underwear was definitely not meant to be seen or talked about".
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Futons and underwear 2008/10/3 07:24
Oh, is that why? That's interesting. Of course the Japanese authorities wouldn't even consider banning line/pole-drying outside- how would the futons get aired? ;-)

Actually I and many women don't hang underwear outside due to the prevalence of underwear snatching in Japan- just recently a guy was caught using a fishing rod to hook underwear from balconies below his and he was found to have stolen thousands of items when his apartment was searched (-o-)

the sun and Japan 2008/10/3 08:20
Yes, I was aware of those "unsightly" whatnot bylaws overseas. We didn't have them in L.A. when we were there, but my friends in Europe had to keep their laundry inside. It's interesting to know, thanks to Monkey See, that they're starting to dry them outside again.

Some of the reasons that they don't have this bylaw in Japan is probably because the Japanese believe that direct sunlight kill germs, not just for futon mattresses but for thin laundry as well.

Another reason is that due to the humidity we get in Japan during warmer seasons, it is quite unavoidable to hang them indoors and not end up having them smell. For this reason, as well as due to the increase of families who leave the house empty all day, a manufacterer has come up with detergent that can be used for "heya-boshi (room-drying)." This detergent is supposed to prevent laundry from stinking even if you have to keep them indoors all day.

Actually though, I've noticed that if you hang your bed sheets indoors but by a sunny window in mid-summer, it will not smell and yet it will prevent heat from coming into the room while cooling the room with the dampness of the sheets. And if your sheets are green or blue, due to the sunlight it turns the whole room the same color and makes it look refreshing.

On a related note, at least in the cities in Japan, it has known to be a courtesy to cover underwear when drying them. A good housewife knows that it simply doesn't look good. But nowadays, as more husbands are starting to participate in housework, we sometimes can spot women's underwear being dried in outrageous forms :)
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread