Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Different uses for Yoroshiku 2008/10/4 08:28
I know what yoroshiku means, but what does it mean in this context? It was sent to me by a friend of mine. Could some elaborate? Also when else is appropriate to use "Yoroshiku"?

I really like your voice, and I'm very glad that you call me sexy and pretty
これからもよろしくね
by stlcar5  

... 2008/10/5 08:15
"Korekara mo" = in the future/from now on, too

So it's something like:
- Your friendship in the future too is appreciated.
- I look forward to your continuing friendship in the future.
by AK rate this post as useful

Well... 2008/10/7 07:17
I think this meaning of the phrase ''これからもよろしくね'' is something like
''Keep in touch'' or ''Let's keep in touch''.

by Yasu rate this post as useful

I gots another one 2008/10/17 13:46
What is the best translation for 気になる?I've seen numerous translations, with slighly different nuances. I used excite's web translator and it translated it as "It is anxious", babelfish says "To become a concern" and my dictionary says "To worry about" to be concerned about" Which is the best way to interpret, "気になる"?

これからも宜しくね!
by stlcar5 rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/17 14:06
There is no one, best, translation for expressions like those - all depends on the context. But the essential meaning of that expression is that "(something) is on your mind," "(something) catches and keeps your attention." (By the way, forget about the online dictionaries you've used - they are too literal...)

This is how this essense of "keeping your attention" can have different nuances:

If you say about a classmate:
- A-san ga ki ni narimasu. (Ms/Mr. A has my attention = A interests me, A keeps me concerned, A has my full attention = I like A.)

If you write an e-mail to your friend who is away traveling extensively,
- Anata no koto ga ki ni narimasu. (You have my attention = You keep me concerned, I am worried about you, I care about you.)

. 2008/10/17 22:10
Thanks for the response, Ak!! I know that those online translators aren't very effective. But, I just use it for reference, if I don't understand soemthing. I remember my host father used to use those sites to translate from Japanese to English, and they really didn't make a lot of sense.

But, I digress. I was talking with my female japanese friend. I've been thinking she was interested in, but wasn't really sure if she understood what she was saying, because we've had a cultural missunderstandings.

But, we were talking about relationships and who initiates a relationship. I asked why she wanted to know so much about dating in America, and all she said was "気になる”So, would it be fair to say that this is something that she's been thinking about for awhile??
by Stlcar5 rate this post as useful

To stlcar5, 2008/10/18 15:32
we were talking about relationships and who initiates a relationship. I asked why she wanted to know so much about dating in America, and all she said was "気になる”

Umm, in that case, I would take it as "Just curious" or "I can't help being curious about it," *maybe* because she's been thinking about it for a while, or maybe it just occurred to her to ask.

to Ak 2008/10/18 21:16
Well, it didn't come out of no where. She was asking me about American guys, and how shy they were. I told her I was a bit shy, so, I was wondering if thats why she asked if it was okay for girls to ask guys out. She's been saying other things, but I wasn't sure if it means much, becaus I've been wrong before. She said that when she hears my voice, "心がどきどきする”She told me it was because my voice was sexy, but then told me it didn't mean anything special because she thought it was okay to say it to anyone like people do to celebrities. I asked her if she wanted to have a picnic in her if she wanted to have a picnic in the woods, and she told me she thinks its very romantic. Does romantic mean the same thing to the "average" Japanese that it would to an American, or would a friend tell their friend they were romantic?

宜しくお願いします

.. 2008/11/7 08:07
付き合っていると私も思ってしまうでしょう

I've got the jist of what this means, but I am not sure how to interpret the "Shimau" after, "omotte" How would you interpret this?

... 2008/11/7 08:12
付き合っていると私も思ってしまうでしょう

- I would have naturally thought that (whoever they are) are in a relationship/going together.

"...te" form of a verb + shimau = inadvertently do something, cannot help but do something, naturally do something, unintentionally do something, unfortunately do something... etc.

This ...shimasu adds the above meaning. So... maybe it was wrong to assume that (whoever they are) are in a relationship?

Yet another question 2008/12/15 11:30
Hi! I got another translation question. I tried using my electronic dictionary on this phrase, but I'm still having trouble getting the exact meaning of this phrase

私のツボにハマる.

If I translated this right, then doesn't it mean something to the effect of "Something/it fits in my pot. Is this a correct translation? Because if so, it kinda sounds a little dirty. So, my apologies if it is or if I seem to have a dirty mind.

Perhaps there is another way to translate it? Well, I'll be waiting for any responses. Thanks in advance!!

... 2008/12/15 12:02
"(one's) tsubo ni hamaru" is a colloquial expression meaning "(something) really hit the spot," in the sense of something really funny, interesting, good, etc. So you would use that sentence when you've read/heard/watched something and you REALLY like it, without yourself knowing exactly the reason why, but you just found it to your liking.

reply to this thread