Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakuba or Yuzawa 2008/10/6 14:20
Hi, i'm bring my kids over in early Dec (4/12 - 16/12), travelling between Osaka and Tokyo. Any possibility of experiencing snow at either Hakuba or Yuzawa. Which would be a better option for a 2-3 nights stay? Thank you.
by Jaz  

... 2008/10/6 20:50
The ski resorts in both towns should have snow by December. Hakuba can be visited along the way between Osaka and Tokyo, however, due to convenient shinkansen access, it is faster to go to Yuzawa.

About Hakuba:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6090.html

About Yuzawa:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

cheap 2008/10/7 08:17
If you don't have a JR Pass, then there are often cheap one day deals in December to Gala Yuzawa. This includes Shinkansen round trip, lift ticket, and sometimes lunch. It generally costs around 6500-8000yen for an adult, early season. Even if you don't ski, you can catch the gondola up to the ski base complex, and stay in the restaurant or walk around in the snow. There is also a great view of the mountains and valley from there.
I think this has the best chance for your kids to experience snow.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Gala Yuzawa 2008/10/7 11:42
Does Gala Yuzawa have snow in late Nov like 22nd or 23rd? Since Kagura Ski Resort opens on 23rd Nov, would it be using artifical snow at this time or any chance of falling snow?
by lsee rate this post as useful

Yuzawa 2008/10/9 09:10
This is the first time we're going to a snow resort, hence not too sure of what's available there. As the main purpose for this trip is to let the kids enjoy themselves , hence i do apologise if following questions sound silly.

1)Read that most ski resorts will open for the season im mid Dec. Does it mean that if we're to arrive before the season kicks off ,we're not able to ski should my kids be interested in? What other activities are there beside ski / nowboarding that are available for the children.

1a) will the lifts be operating should the resorts are not open for the season yet?

2) Any recommendation for a resort in Yuzawa that would be good for children.

3) Would an overnight stay here be advisable?

Thank you.
by Jaz rate this post as useful

Late Dec 2008/10/9 21:44
Most ski resorts on Honshu (Nagano, Niigata, etc.) don't have enough snow on the runs to open until late Dec. If you plan to go earlier for skiing, you'll risk disappointment. But you can still see the snow monkeys and visit some onsen. : )
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread