Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay in Akita/Iwate? 2008/10/7 12:01
I will be staying in Matsushima and Aomori, but I'm struggling to find a great middle point between the two cities to stay as I travel north.

Can anyone recommend a strong candidate where I can get a healthy dose of culture?

I was thinking of Hiraizumi, Morioka, Kakunodate or Nyuto.

Thanks!

by banmanb2  

a couple of places 2008/10/10 12:49
I have been to Kakunodate and Nyuto Onsen. Kakunodate was a lovely small town, with several streets of former samurai houses. Most of the houses are open, as museums or shops. It's walkable and the people are very friendly; I don't think a lot of foreign tourists go there, so many people were quite curious about why we came there. There's nothing really MAJOR there, but still it's the kind of place I like. We stayed at the Tamachi Bukeyashiki hotel, which was great. No onsen, but beautiful modern tatami rooms and a seriously wonderful Italian (I know, who'd have guessed?) restaurant attached. This was two years ago, I hope it hasn't changed.
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kakunodate/H45032.html
Nyuto onsen was very tiny - it's a serious onsen location. Sulfur smell, lots of steam, people who came from all over because they are all about onsen. We stayed at Kuroyu (or Kuronoyu? I've forgotten) onsen because we couldn't get into the most famous - Tsurunoyu (I think) - and found that our stay was basic but not great, I wouldn't go there again. There's nothing there but nature & steam and hot water.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

reply to this thread