Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel with Children - 6mth & 2yrs 2008/10/7 20:45
We are thinking of planning a holiday to Japa next year with a 6 month old and a 2 year old child. Has anyone travelled around with young children? How easy is it to accomodate children and how "child friendly' is Japan?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
by Susan  

Not impossible but not easy 2008/10/8 20:34
Japan is generally child-friendly but travelling with kids is not going to be an easy trip for you. Several things you have to consider- unless you bring your food requirements with you, the kids will be eating food that they aren't used to. They might refuse it or it might make them unwell. For a 6mth and 2 year-old, your laundry needs will also be high and even if you are willing to find a laundrette somewhere, you'll be washing all the clothes in cold water and you might not be happy with the results.
The biggest obstacle I can see is the logistic one. The public transport system in Japan is wonderful but wholly unsuitable for buggies, prams and the like. Not only are the trains and buses very crowded, but the stations rarely have elevators and usually require the negotiating of long flights of stairs.
Personally, I would put your plans on hold for a year or two until the kids are more mobile themselves, require less equipment and can appreciate more of Japan too.
by Michi rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/8 22:11
We travelled with my 6-month old last year Dec to Osaka & Tokyo. It's great. My bb was breastfed therefore I didn't have any concern with the food. I have to say that Japanese love kids very much. Most of them are so kind and willing to offer a hand if you need assistance. For instance, when we travel from OSaka to Tokyo via the bullet train. We just got the normal seats. After the captain found out we had a baby with us, he rearranged our seats and moved us to the section for disabled people. Those seats are more spacious so that we can have our baby in the stroller instead of holding her. We found that we were well treated when we took trains or got services because of our BB.

One thing you have to ensure is you are not bringing a large stroller with you. Our is Peperego P3 the size is ok. I find it's safer to have the baby in the stroller while taking the trains or subway. As long as you stay in the section for disable person of the train then you should be fine. In Tokyo or Osaka, we don't have any issue to find an elevator.

Another thing you have to pay attention to is to avoid rush hour. Therefore you have to well plan your schedule each day.

We visited to Japan again last couple of weeks and my baby was now 16 months. It's not easy when she was 6-month but the trip was still great. Regarding food, we went to the above average restaurant so that we can ensure the safety of the food. She had noodles most of the time and she was fine.
by Mango rate this post as useful

reply to this thread