Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

colloquial translation 2008/10/9 01:51
Hi. I don't understand this sentence cuz it's expressed colloquially. Can anyone help?

”キックねえな、グミ飛ばしてんじゃねえよ。”

If possible, please translate this sentence as close as possible to Eng. This includes using colloquial Eng words as well.

Thank you very much.
by Jpnfreak  

... 2008/10/9 20:23
What kind of people/community did you get this from? I have no idea what キックねぇ (while I know of course what "kick" literally means) means, and グミ飛ばす is something I've never heard or seen, though my guess is this second part might something like "what the h*** are you lookin' at!?" type of sentence. And yes, I am Japanese, though I admit I'm not familiar with teenage jargon :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Erm... 2008/10/10 19:58
I actually got it from a novel (Shakugan no Shana). These people are talking in heavy slang (janee...) and a beginner like me got lost almost immediately.

Janee should be a variation of janai, right? Tobasu means to fly/to hurl/ to spread according to an online dictionary.

Well, just convey the rough meaning of the sentence. It would be helpful.

Thank you very much. =p
by Jpnfreak rate this post as useful

.. 2008/10/10 23:38
While I of course understand the literal meaning of "janee" and "tobasu," they come in combination with words I (as a mature Japanese woman) don't understand... OK, if I'm to take a wild, wild guess, it would be something like "hey, you've got not guts... what the h*** you're lookin' at, huh?" but I could be completely wrong :)
by AK rate this post as useful

at least you tried 2008/10/11 01:36
Well at least you tried. Thanks very much for that.

Do you know where I can get further help on this issue?

help 2008/10/11 12:26
Wait for a teenage Japanese person who also speaks fluent English to come along?
;-)
by SHU rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/13 15:56
キックねえな?
I think it is a typo, should read キッタねえな (colloquial/very casual and a bit rude form of 汚いな)meaning "how dirty!" or something like that in English.
by . rate this post as useful

wow... 2008/10/13 16:01
Wow... Yeah. You are right. I did not even notice it. Because I was deluded into thinking that it is 'kick' in Japanese. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Any ideas on the second part of the sentence?

..... 2008/10/14 08:15
”キックねえな、グミ飛ばしてんじゃねえよ。”

I have tried to change like this.
”キッタねえな、ゴミ飛ばしてんじゃねえよ。”
グミ→ゴミ:garbage, trash
by T rate this post as useful

reply to this thread