Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use JR-west rail pass for Nozomi? 2008/10/9 12:55
I have plan to go to Himeji from Kyoto and hyperdia.com suggested me to use "Shinkansen Nozomi". By using JR-west rail pass 1 day, Can I use this train?

Thanks
by punnee  

. 2008/10/9 13:15
If you have the Sanyo area pass, yes. However, the Kansai area pass does not allow any Shinkansen travel.

Note that even with the Kansai pass, it's not hard to get to - Kyoto to Himeji is about 90-120 minutes on ordinary trains, with one connection in Osaka.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/9 13:20
Sorry, I only noticed the "pass 1 day" after I submitted that reply. Only the Kansai area pass is available in a 1-day version - no Nozomi allowed.

The ordinary trains you'd want are identified as "Special Rapid" or "S.Rapid" on station signs. Both trains are quite frequent, usually every 15 minutes during the daytime.

One more question 2008/10/9 13:30
But after I look in JR website, it said I can use "Tokaido - Sanyo Main Line (Yamashina - Himeji)". What is this line?
by punnee rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/9 14:37
Those are ordinary commuter trains - exactly what you want. In the actual stations, you'll see signage pointing to "Kyoto Line" (east of Osaka) and "Kobe Line" (west of Osaka), which are nicknames for portions of the Tokaido-Sanyo Main Line.

JR West Sanyo pass 2008/10/9 15:22
The JR West Sanyo area pass (4 or 8 days)allows the use of the Nozomi BUT it stops at Shin-Osaka and Osaka Kita (Umeda).It DOESN'T cover Kyoto. It is only worthwhile if you travel return from Osaka to Hiroshima (with a 4 days pass)or further away.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Just for clarify 2008/10/9 15:25
So it means I can use ''Shinkansen Nozomi'' to Himeji. am I right?

Thanks for you help.

Yes 2008/10/9 19:43
You can use your JR West Pass for the Nozomi. Have fun on the N700.
by Glen rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/9 20:12
Thanks a lot for your help

. 2008/10/10 05:19
Not necessarily. Again, there are two different JR West passes. Only the Sanyo pass lets you use the Nozomi, and it doesn't sound like that's what you have (it doesn't come in a 1-day version).

JR west pass 2008/10/10 06:19
which JR webside are you talking about? there are quite a few of them!
As an other poster and I have said you can only use the Nozomi with a JR West 4 or 8 days Sanyo pass BUT THAT PASS DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO TAKE THE NOZOMI IN KYOTO, ONLY IN SHIN-OSAKA. If you have a JR West 1 day Kansai pass you CANNOT use the Nozomi, only local trains.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/10 09:46
by optimistk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread