Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese marriage and fingerprinting? 2008/10/10 21:24
My American friend wants to marry a Japanese citizen. He asked me (I'm American) to vouch for his Japanese girlfriend on one of the marriage forms. He says I need to give my fingerprints as part of this procedure. I am in America and have no intention of going to Japan--the paperwork is being mailed back and forth.

Is this fingerprinting normal? It seems strange to me since I am not in Japan and am not even a partner in the marriage. Thank you.
by Jean  

Thumbprint 2008/10/11 10:27
Jean,

A thumbprint is often used in place of one's "hanko" (seal), so this might be necessary on the marriage form - although a standard signature is usually acceptable these days. Note that it is just one thumbprint - not a whole set of criminal-style fingerprints!
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

forefinger 2008/10/11 12:21
Dave is right, and actually it is normally a forefinger print and I think the ink needs to be either black or red.

For example, if a Japanese local happens to be in a position to write an official paper (such as registering a stolen bicycle to the police) and the person left the personal hanko at home, it is normal to be asked to use a forefinger print instead.

Since the paper is being mailed to you, I suppose you can just put your fingerprint on at your home without having to come to Japan.

I'm not really sure if signatures by pen are acceptable. They are in most commercial organizations nowadays, but you know how public servants are. The safest way is to ask at your local Japanese Embassy. You can ask about the ink while you're at it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2008/10/11 12:29
While fingerprints are no big deal, Jean is right when she says, "It seems strange to me since I am not in Japan and am not even a partner in the marriage."

A Japanese marriage form requires two vouchers, but this could practically be anybody. It's not like a "best man and bride's maid" who are usually very close people who need to attend the ceremony in proper dresses. Typically couples would ask whatever friend there is to write their names on and the vouchers will have nothing to do with the marriage after that, even if the couple divorce or what not.

I'm sure it's none of my business, but if the couple has no friend or relative to ask to in Japan, that would be a very strange and secret marriage...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Fingerprint? 2008/10/11 15:34
I believe a signature is acceptable; did they check with the City Hall?
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread