Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living Expenses? 2008/10/11 03:47
I want to move to japan hopefully so that I can work with technology there. Mainly computer software such as but not limited to video games. I want to be able to take part in new kinds of technology too. I also want to know more about japans trains and other high technology they got there. My question is that I had to drop out of highschool for hope to get into college. And since I've been struggling to get ''into'' a GED class. And until then I cannot get a job or anything simply becuase anyone who has better education will get that job first... Well when I get my GED and am able to get into college would it be possible for me to get enough money to go to japan, find a place to stay in japan and attend college there? Or would it be all too expensive? Can anyone give me an estimate on how much money it takes a basic middle class citizen of japan to live in their own home with their own food and utilities, and bills such as rent? And how much money it might take to get to japan from America, and get a place to stay? And with my GED and little college Education (half a year to 1 year of college education) how easy it will be to get a good paying job in japan so that I can pay off my own expenses? Any estimates or near accurate information would help greatly thanks!
by William Friant  

what about a visa? 2008/10/11 09:54
You really need to look into visa requirements as one of the first things you research.

As an American (I'm guessing?) with no degree, you will have to go on a student visa, so you will need to apply to a university or language school, and also show proof that you have enough funds to support you during your stay.

Once in Japan you can apply for permission to work part time.

A full working visa requires you to have graduated from university/college.

Check the Japanese government's site for details on visas, and also contact the Japanese Embassy/consulate nearest you, as they can give you up-to-date info on visa requirements.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/10/11 12:10
If you want to get into university you have to take the eju its admission test for international students and you pick the subject you
Want to do such as biology. Universites
Also want you
To know a grasp of japanese. Either learn japenese at home and study for the eju or come here on a student visa and go to japanese language school and work if the school allows you. Jobs such as kitchen jobs and being a waiter are open to you but they may require
Basic japanese.
by James rate this post as useful

missing link 2008/10/11 12:24
I meant to post the government visa site, sorry, here it is:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
by Sira rate this post as useful

Cost 2008/10/11 12:32
Student vist to get accepted you usually need to show that you have 4grand
In your account. Dont rent on your own its too confusing if you havent been here before. Monthly stays with a roommate like at a guest house is better. Month rent can be around 40,000 to 60,000 yen
With roommate. If you work as waiter in a bar and lets say you work 3 days a week at 1000 yen an hour for 5 hours. Over 4 weeks thats 45,000. And of course you would work more days and hours, pay might be 1,200 yen etc.
by James rate this post as useful

expenses 2008/10/11 15:14
The long and short of it is that, like most people who move to another country without knowing the language (or barely so) and with an education that is totally different from the locals, you will make much less money than in your country and much less than the local people for quite a few years. You will have to live like a monk, in a small room and without much money. BUT if you have a dream and work very hard at it you can do what you want. As for the money needed to go from The USA to Japan..there are ads in every US paper, especially on weekends in the travel section. Count $ 6000 for the one-way trip and basic expenses for a few months..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread