Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unique customs between owners & dogs? 2008/10/11 05:31
Dr. Bob or anyone who can help:

While in Japan, did you notice any customs unique to the Japanese when it came to their domestic dogs (pets)? Or do they pretty much operate by the same protocol that we do here in the U.S.? I've heard in some foreign countries that it's unacceptable to show affection to a dog, or to cloth a dog, etc. Just wondered if there was anything noticeably unique/different in Japan.
Thanks! - Debbie, in Texas.
by Debbie P.  

clothes on dogs 2008/10/11 09:58
In Japan it is not only acceptable to clothe your dog, it is almost compulsory! Last week I saw a pair of terriers in raincoats and matching rainboots. I have also seen dachshunds in sunglasses, and labradors in pink overalls. Some people treat their dogs much as Americans do, i.e. not putting clothes and accessories on them, but some people really go over the top.

by Sira rate this post as useful

one thing... 2008/10/11 23:08
I've noticed is that dogs are not conversation starters like they are in the US- I've been snapped at for complimenting people's dogs or even looking at people's dogs, much less trying to pet a friendly dog. The Japanese aren't much for conversing with strangers on the street anyway, but especially elderly people can be downright hostile about your interest in their pet. I never found this to be the case in America, where most people are happy to talk about their dog and pleased if you care.
by Kate rate this post as useful

conversation starters 2008/10/11 23:51
Hmm, I've always found pets and babies to be conversation starters in Japan. In particular, parks in late afternoons are known to be the major get-together place for dog-owners. They would call each other "(dog's name)'s mama" or "(dog's name)'s papa".

But at the same time, you are expected to ask, "nadetemo iidesuka? (Can I pet your dog?)" before approaching them, since some dogs are more sensitive than the other.
by Uco rate this post as useful

dogs 2008/10/12 07:12
I see Japanese people with dogs stop and talk about their dogs all the time, even when they obviously don't know each other. You also often see people without dogs stop and start patting cute little dogs, and the owners usually seem quite happy. I don't know why Kate had so many hostile responses, but maybe it's better to steer clear of the elderly people with dogs, as they are more likely to overreact to being approached by a foreigner.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread