Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

11 train tickets for the price of 10 2008/10/11 08:09
Can this be used for different destinations? How do you buy the tickets? How does it work? Can this be split between 2 people? Thanks
by andrea  

... 2008/10/11 09:06
Can this be used for different destinations?

No, all tickets in the set are for the same section between station A and station B.

How do you buy the tickets?

At the ticket counter or vending machine of station A or station B.

How does it work?

You use them very much like a regular ticket. Each ticket in the set can be used in either direction (A-B or B-A).

There are only a few restrictions:

1) the ticket sets are only available for sections 200 kilometers or shorter

2) it is not allowed to get off along the way

3) they have to be used within three months

Can this be split between 2 people?

Yes, the set can be used by up to eleven adults. Furthermore, each ticket can alternatively be shared by two children. So, a maximum of 22 children could theoretically use one set of tickets.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/11 13:37
2) it is not allowed to get off along the way

I'm not sure if it is different where Uji lives, but in Tokyo (at least for JR East), I've use the extra ticket to get off along the designated route. For example, traveling from Station A to B i stopped at station A.5 and the ticket had no problem exiting (of course this is a waste of money because the fare you paid would of been more, unless you were using that extra 1 ticket for anything), but I guess its one of those things where you get on and realize you had something else to do.
If you go outside the designated zone, you can pay a "fare adjustment" to the ticket.
by John rate this post as useful

Getting off midway 2008/10/11 17:12
John,

It's OK to use these "kaisuuken" (carnet tickets) for only part of the route and get off at any station en route. What you can't do is get off at an intermediate station and then hope to use the same ticket for the remainder of the route (something you can do with longer distance tickets). Your ticket will of course be swallowed by the ticket gate when you leave the station, but there is no particular problem. That's probably what Uji was referring to.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/11 18:11
Yes, Dave, you are right. It is possible to get off along the way, but your ticket will be swallowed for good. This is different from regular tickets, which cover a distance of 100 km or more.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/11 18:40
Ah I get what you're saying now.

I was thinking in the sense of those special tickets sold where you cannot get off at any station in between the designated route.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread