Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

popular japanese female name 2008/10/11 17:31
hey everyone,
it's me again. i was wounding about a japanese name. it's either a female or unisex name. and it's a popular japanese name and i think it sound like ''SHAWN'' can anyone help me out? thank you for your time.
by Joe  

Shawn? 2008/10/11 20:17
About the closest I can think of is "Jun", which is a "unisex" name. I can't think of any other Japanese names which sound anything like Shawn.
by Sira rate this post as useful

thanks sira 2008/10/12 12:57
thanks Sira maybe i was wrong i know for sure it's a popular japanese female name i wonder where i can find a list of popular japanese female names and find away how to pronounce the name maybe that will help me find the name for sure.
by Joe d rate this post as useful

I doubt it's common 2008/10/12 13:14
If you Google, I'm sure you will find a list of names somewhere. It is just that Shawn sounds so unlike any popular Japanese women's name I've ever come across.

Typical names are: Yuko, Yuri, Maki, Mai, Yumiko, Aki, Mari, Keiko, Noriko etc. Very few names end in an 'n' sound as most Japanese words and names end in a vowel. Jun is about the only name I can think of, and that is not that common. It is more often a boy's name than a girl's name as well.

I think if you do find out what it actually is, you'll find it's not that common at all. I have lived in Japan 10 years and never heard a name that sounds anything like Shawn I'm afraid.

Shun? 2008/10/12 16:27
Is it Shun?
by Kate rate this post as useful

Shun 2008/10/12 16:34
Hmm, I suppose it could be, but if so, that's not a popular girl's name. It sometimes comes up as a boy's name, but isn't that common.

thanks everyone 2008/10/13 15:31
thanks everyone would shoko,suma,and saki be popular japanese girl names?
by Joe rate this post as useful

Shoko and Saki, yes. 2008/10/13 16:16
Suma- never heard it before. Shoko and Saki I come across occasionally, but not all that often. They aren't unusual names though.

Shana? 2008/10/13 21:12
...is it Shana? that is neither an unisex name nor a japanese name really...but that is the only one closest to it...
by Melzinha rate this post as useful

saki and shun 2008/10/15 17:24
well how do you pronounce the name saki anyway? i look it up and it's a popular girls name from 1994-2003. but is shun only a popular boy's name? i know it's a unisex name but it sounds like shawn in a way
by Joe rate this post as useful

names 2008/10/15 19:11
I have never met or heard of a girl/woman called Shun, so although it's theoretically possible, it's certainly not common.

Saki is pronounced how it looks- Sa sounds like the "su" in "summer", and ki sounds like "key"- Sa-ki.

Shion 2008/11/15 22:51
I think it's Shion? (しおん/紫苑/詩音)
Though It's rather a girl's name.
I've scarcely heard Shion for a boy, but just possible I think.
by Ko rate this post as useful

Not a common name 2008/11/16 13:10
I've never heard of Shion for a boy or a girl, so it doesn't fit the original criteria of being a "popular female name".

reply to this thread