Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Budget for 30 days in japan 2008/10/14 17:15
hi all, i will be going to japan in january 09 for 30 days. my budget is around $5000sgd, including airfare. will it be sufficient? any help will be appriciated. thanks
by lifesgreat  

... 2008/10/14 23:37
No idea about the airfare, but for travel budget within Japan, there is a good reference:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html
by ... rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/15 08:54
All my figures are in USD.

I got a plane ticket for $1200 by winning an auction from Sky Auction.

I then got a Gaijin room in Saitama for $600 for one month via Oak House.

I ate very little a day to keep my food budget low, about $10 got me a couple sandwiches/onigiri/sushi and a bag of nuts or a pack of ramen at the 7/11.

Train tickets can get expensive, but I only travelled in Tokyo and only went to one location a day, I think I ended up going thorugh about $200 in train tickets total, including the first few days I spent getting lost and going all over the place.

So, it depends on you - how far and often you will travel, if you only stay in hotel rooms, what kind of diet you want to have, how much you want to buy, where you get your ticket from, etc.
by me rate this post as useful

yes 2008/10/15 20:26
that is more than enough money.

if you come even close to burning that much money in a month you are living an overly luxurious lifestyle.

avoid expensive restaurants, find a place to stay in advance, and don't make unplanned trips on the train because as mentioned train tickets do add up very quickly. never ever ever take a cab in tokyo if you need to save money.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/15 22:31
But 5,000sgd, I assume Singapore dollars, is about US$3,400 or so.
That's around 340,000 yen in total, so a bit over 10,000 yen a day, EXCLUDING airfare.

... 2008/10/15 22:47
Sorry I meant to say in my above post that my calculation of "10,000 yen per day" does not YET take into account the airfare, which the original poster says is included in the total budget.

? 2008/10/16 15:47
thanks guys for the reply, for the above post. sorry i have no idea what u meant.
by lifesgreat rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/16 17:08
lifesgreat,
Sorry for the confusion.

My two posts above were intended for "winterwolf," who said that the amount was more than enough.

I wanted to say that since 5,000 Singapore dollars was equal to about US$3,400, it would be 340,000 yen for the whole trip. If you divided that into 30 days (assuming that this was only spending money in Japan, excluding airfare), it would be 10,000 yen or so, which is already not "more than enough," as winterwolf said.

And you say that 5,000SGD includes airfare, which (even though I do not know the recent airfare) means that it will be very tight budget.

Once again, for travel budget WITHIN Japan, please look at:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

reply to this thread