Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Festivals: 3 & 15 November 2008/10/14 17:50
I read somewhere that Matsumoto celebrates the Castle Festival/Oshiro Matsuri "around 3 Nov". Can anyone confirm the date, please?

Also, for the Shichi-Go-San on 15 Nov, are there festivities at most shrines and temples, or only at certain major/popular ones?

Thanks!
by tara  

Oshiro-Matsuri & 753 2008/10/17 03:32
Oshiro Matsuri will be held from 13th Oct to 4th Nov.
Several event is taking place on 3rd Nov.
Taiko-mon is opened to the public
boys and girls Japanese ong-handled sword (Naginata) challenge
boys and girls worrier parade
Japanese drum (taiko) concert
Japanese green tea ceremony
etc.

Shichi-go-san (November 15); the seven-five-three festival when parents with boys of five, girls of seven and either boys or girls of three dress their children in gay clothes and take them to shrines where they pray for their children's future.

Shichi-go-san is held at community-based shrines.
by tacky rate this post as useful

What time of day do families celebrate ? 2008/10/18 13:15
When do families take their children to celebrate ichi-go-san?
by Kuroi Neko rate this post as useful

2-3 Nov Hakuunza Kabuki 2008/10/18 15:22
I saw somewhere that there will be a "Hakuunza Kabuki" event at Gero (near Takayama) on 2-3 Nov. Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

I'll be travelling in the the Matsumoto/Kiso Valley/ Takayama area in the first week of Nov, so I'd like to know about any special events happening during that time.
Thanks!
by tara rate this post as useful

Festivals 2008/10/18 16:06
Keep an eye on this page: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/entertainment/festivals.html
It is pretty complete, but it is a pity they don't show the festivals a little more in advance.

I think it is a missed opportunity of the JNTO to list only so few festivals on their page: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/festivals/index.html
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread