Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What 2 Wear 4 Winter/January in Japan? 2008/10/16 01:20
Hi,

My family and I are planning to visit Japan (Disneyland, Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto) in Jan 5th - 17th next year. We are 3 adults & 3 toddlers ages 5, 3 & 2 years old.

This would be our 1st trip to Japan in winter season, so we have no idea how cold is Japan during our visit. Considering we live in a tropical weather country, would it be warm enough for us to wear underneath t-shirt + regular sweater/cardigan (NOT cashmere/angora) + wool coat, and thicker stocking? Or should we have to wear thermal underneath/long johns & down/parka jacket instead of wool jacket? Are the ears warmer, thermal underwear & gloves must for the children?

To enjoy our trip, I think we should dress as warm & comfortable as possible due to the weather.

I do appreciate for your immediate & useful advices as we need to prepare/order the things that we need from now.

Thanks again!
Dena
by Dena  

don't forget scarves 2008/10/16 07:57
The problem with thermal underwear is that when you go inside, either trains or buildings, you will start to roast, and you can't take it off easily. I recommend adding one more thin layer under the coat that can be easily removed instead.

A down jacket is only really necessary if you will be outside and not moving much for most of the day.

When it is windy hands and heads can get really cold, so I recommend gloves (fingerless gloves can be handy), hats rather than ear warmers, and warm scarves for all of you. Your neck can feel really cold without a scarf in winter, it's one of the more important items.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Travelling light 2008/10/16 08:05
Dena,
I have been over for two winters and have always tried to travel as lightly as possible. I take thermal underwear including socks and wear these with regular clothes such as denim jeans, winter weight shirts and a jacket that can be zipped open to get some air if the weather is not too cold. Be warned that when you go indoors it will be like a furnace. My experience is that they run the heating too high and the aircon too low so it is usually a case of extremes. I also take a hat that can be pulled down over the ears when required and a lightweight windproof / showerproof jacket for a final layer if needed. I doubt that you will need any serious winter gear for the areas that you mentioned. You should check some of the weather sites to get a clear idea of the temperatures you can expect. I guess at the end of the day it depends on what you are used to and are able to tolerate in comfort.
by RodW rate this post as useful

reply to this thread