Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chubu Gifu & Nagano-ken 2008/10/17 00:08
A friend and I are planning to spend about a week (late Oct-early Nov) to visit Matsumoto, Kamikochi, Kiso valley, Takayama and Shirokawa-go. We'll be travelling from and back to Tokyo. Please recommend the most efficient itinerary that we can take? Is there any kind of economical Free Coupon/Pass for bus travel in this region?

Thanks for any advice!
by star  

... 2008/10/17 11:51
A possible itinerary:

Tokyo - (bus or trin) - Matsumoto - (train and bus) - Kamikochi - (bus) - Takayama - (bus) - Shirakawago - (bus) - Takayama - (train and bus) - Kiso valley - (train or train and bus) - Tokyo

Buses tends to be cheaper than trains.

Alternatively, it is an attractive route to be driven by car, although some distances are quite long:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

7 days 8 cities? 2008/10/17 14:25
Is that right? That is a lot of traveling and not much time for seeing much. Uji helped me out on my trip and made the suggestion that my trip was too busy... he was right. The route he gave looks great and I would add use the train as much as possible. Less traffic. I think the places you are going are wounderful and should be enjoyed maybe a little slower... just a though. Ohhh well you are going to have a great time anyway you decide.
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

5 places 2008/10/17 16:53
We are planning 7-8 days for the places mentioned, excluding travel time from/to Tokyo:
- Matsumoto & Kamikochi: 2-3 days
- Takayama: 2 days
- Shirakawa-go & Kiso Valley: 1.5 days each
Hope the above's good?

Any recommendations on inexpensive accommodation (but not dorms) in Matsumoto and Takayama, please? We'll probably stay a couple of nights in each of them (and go for nice ryokans in Kiso Valley and Shirakawa-go).

Thanks a lot!
by star rate this post as useful

reply to this thread