Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Towadako/ Hachimantai Plateau / Tazawa 2008/10/19 01:39
I plan to see red leaf in Towada - Hachimantai National Park during Nov1-3, 2008 . Anyway I could not find the bus schedule from Towadako to Hachimantai or Towadako direct to Tazawako. Could you advise me for about the bus schedule and bus fare?

Could I use JR rail pass for this bus?

Could you advise the cheap accomodation in Hachimantai plateau or Tozawa go? ( I could not reserve because most of website is in Japanese)

Thank you very much

by Kaenee  

... 2008/10/19 07:51
Bus service in this region of Japan is infrequent and complicated.

There are no direct buses between Towadako and Tazawako.

Below are the bus lines, which get you between the three places you intend to go:

1) Towadako - Towada-Minami Station - Kazunohanawa Station (4 buses per day)

2) Kazunohanawa Station - Hachimantai (1 bus per day); Kazunohanawa Station - Tamagawa Onsen (4 buses per day)

3) Hachimantai - Tamagawa Onsen - Tazawako - Tazawako Station (4 buses between Tazawako Station and Hachimantai; 5 additional buses between Tazawako and Tamagawa Onsen)

All of the above buses are NOT covered by the Japan Rail Pass nor JR East Pass.

Important note:
After November 3, the number of buses will be reduced on the Towadako - Kazunohanawa route, while bus service between Kazunohanawa, Hachimantai and Tazawako will be discontinued over the winter (the road gets closed in winter).

The alternative would be to acess Hachimantai from Morioka and to travel between Towadako and Tazawako via Hachinohe and Morioka. The bus between Tozawako and Hachinohe is covered by the Japan Rail Pass but not by the JR East Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hachimantai 2008/10/19 14:08
Dear Uji,

Thank you very much for your answer. Could I you explain more about

-The alternative would be to acess Hachimantai from Morioka

Could you advise me about this route and bus schedule?

My route plan

Tokyo- Hachinohe (shinkansen)

Hachinohe - Towadako (JR bus) via Orirase

Towadako - Hachinohe (bus)

Hachinohe - Tozawago (shinkansen)

Tozawago - Tozawa kohan (bus not covered by JR pass)

I have 2 days in this route. Is it enough time to go to Hachimantai?

Thank you very much for your advise.
by Kaenee rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/19 15:31
Towadako and Tazawako are already more than enough for just two days. I don't recommend to also pack in Hachimantai.

Buses from Morioka go to various destinations in the Hachimantai area. Hachimantai Onsen, Matsukawa Onsen and Gozaisho Onsen are served around the year, but higher elevations are not served after November 3, either.

Towada/Hachimantai 2008/10/20 12:42
Thank you very much for your advise. I read from JNTO website they reccommend the route for travel towada- hachimantai - tazawa within 4 days. May be I will expand my travel plan for 3 days.

Could you advise me for the bus route and time schedule from

-Towadago to Hachimantai plateau (Hachimantai chojo ???) I would like to see Hachiman-numa pond and go to goshogake spa.

-Hachimatai plateau to Morioka

-Hachimatai to Tazawako

Thank you very much.

T
by Kaenee rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/20 16:04
Towadako - Kazunohanawa:

08:30 10:20 13:00 16:20 Towadako
09:51 11:41 14:21 17:41 Kazunohanawa

Kazunohanawa - Hachimantai Chojo
08:00 Kazunohanawa
09:18 Hachimantai Chojo

In addition to the above bus, there are a few connecions that require a transfer along the way.

Hachimantai Chojo - Morioka
14:30 15:15 Hachimantai Chojo
16:20 17:16 Morioka Station

Hachimantai Chojo - Tazawako Station
10:00 13:00 15:00 Hachimantai Chojo
12:16 15:16 17:16 Tazawako Station

Valid through November 3, 2008

reply to this thread