Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Might not get JR-pass, what to do? 2008/10/19 03:42
Hey everyone, I managed to get a little too last minute to buy my JR pass and since I live in Montreal and the office is in Toronto, I might not be able to get it before I leave.

So I'm trying to form a back-up plan of traveling without the JR-pass. Here is the summary of my itinerary:

24oct to 29oct : Tokyo
29oct to 1nov : Kyoto
1nov to 4nov : Kobe
4nov to 5nov : Tokyo and then back home.

During my trip in Kyoto I will take 1 day to see a friend in Osaka. But that might not happen as it will not fit well if I use the 4day JR west pass.

During my trip in Kobe, another friend will take me to Himeji castle and another day for visiting Kyoto.

So basically, my travelling needs are :

Tokyo-Kyoto : 1way.
Kyoto-Osaka : 2way.
Kyoto-Kobe : 1way.
Kobe-Himeji : 2way.
Kobe-Kyoto : 2way.
Kobe-Tokyo : 1way.

If I cannot get the JR pass, it sounds like my travelling within Kansai will get troublesome. I heard about the Puratto Kodama (http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/tokyo.html) and I'm thinking of using that for my 2 long distance trip. And then probably a JR west pass 4days for my Kansai travels.

I'm thinking of not stoping in Osaka and just staying in Kyoto. Then use the JR west pass for the Kobe and surrounding trip so that on my return trip I can hit Kyoto with the JR west pass and take the Kodama train to Tokyo from there.

It probably sounds like a very strange trip, but let me explain. I will visit Kyoto alone and then see a friend in Kobe who intends on taking me to a few places (Kyoto and Himeji). Does it make more sense? haha.

What do you guys think? Is there a cheaper way?

Obviously, If I manage to get my JR pass, problem solved. But until then i'd like a back-up plan ready.

Thanks all,

Daniel

PS: If I my message is not clear, forgive me and ask some questions, I will clarify.
by Daniel518  

... 2008/10/19 07:55
The cheapest way of travel would be by night bus from Tokyo to Kyoto and from Kobe to Tokyo. The following service has very low rates and a reservation interface in English:
http://www.123bus.net/index.html?agencyCode=4268
by Uji rate this post as useful

Find a travel agent 2008/10/19 11:58
Find a travel agent in Montreal that specializes in trips to Japan (or Asia). They may be able to get a Rail Pass for you from Toronto and have it shipped to Montreal.
by ... rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/19 12:16
Based on your itinerary you're not entirely screwed if you didn't get a JR pass.

Because private railways in the Kansai area provide transportation to the places you want to go at a cheaper price then JR, though it is sometimes a bit slower, but it gets you there at a cheaper price.

Tokyo-Kyoto x 2 kodama economy plan:
9800x2 = 19600

Kyoto-Osaka (Take private Railways if possible, depending on where your hotel is)

Osaka-Himeji x 2, again take private railways if possible
as laid out here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3504.html
1250x2 or 1 day JR west pass 2000yen

Note the Kodama Economy plan is good as far as Osaka, so if your final day is Kobe, you'll have to take regular trains to ShinOsaka then use the Kodama plan, but that is fine because many people use ShinOsaka rather then ShinKobe station anyway.

390 yen by JR to ShinOsaka.

In the end if you round it all up, it comes out to Just about the same as a JR pass, even without getting the 4 day kansai pass, which I think will come out more expensive then if you were to just pay regular tickets (the only day a 1 day JR west pass might work out is out to Himeji).
by John rate this post as useful

thanks. 2008/10/19 13:16
Thanks alot everyone, that was quick and very good answers! I can sleep soundly now, haha.
by Daniel518 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread