Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused abt NEX & trsf to Shinkansen 2008/10/19 10:59
I am arriving at Narita Terminal 1 on 13 Nov at 7.15am. I will be exchanging for my JR Pass and will travel to Osaka.

Even though the NEX timetable shows trains leaving at 8.11 and 8.52 from Narita Airport, the earliest train the Hyperdia search result would show is 9.15 train, even if I put the departure time as 7am. Why is that so?

I understand NEX requires reservation. What happens if there are no available seats when I arrive that day?

According to the Hyperdia search result, when I reach Shinagawa, I only have 10 min to switch to Shinkansen to Osaka. Will I have enough time? What happens when I have no reservation on the Shinkansen?
by Chrissy  

... 2008/10/19 15:59
Even though the NEX timetable shows trains leaving at 8.11 and 8.52 from Narita Airport, the earliest train the Hyperdia search result would show is 9.15 train, even if I put the departure time as 7am. Why is that so?

I don't know. It seems to be a bug. The following should be the results:

07:42 Narita Airport
09:12 Shinagawa (arr.)
09:40 Shinagawa (dept.)
12:30 Shin-Osaka

08:11 Narita Airport
09:36 Shinagawa (arr.)
If you know your way and run, you might be able to catch the 9:40 departure (see above). Otherwise:
10:10 Shinagawa (dept.)
13:03 Shin-Osaka

08:52 Narita Airport
10:04 Shinagawa (arr.)
If you know your way and walk quickly, you are not unlikely to catch the 10:10 departure (see above). Otherwise:
10:40 Shinagawa (dept.)
13:30 Shin-Osaka

I understand NEX requires reservation. What happens if there are no available seats when I arrive that day?

In this unlikely case, you can:
1) I think you can purchase a ticket for standing
2) make reservations for the next departure or
3) take a different train or bus into Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

According to the Hyperdia search result, when I reach Shinagawa, I only have 10 min to switch to Shinkansen to Osaka. Will I have enough time?

Yes, it should be possible.

What happens when I have no reservation on the Shinkansen?

You can ride the unreserved cars. But I recommend to make a seat reservation at the same time as you make the seat reservation for the NEX.
by Uji rate this post as useful

NEX->Shinkansen 2008/10/19 16:22
. ...arriving at Narita Terminal 1 ... exchanging ... JR Pass ...
. travel to Osaka. Even though the NEX timetable
. shows trains leaving at 8.11 and 8.52 from Narita Airport,
. the earliest train the Hyperdia search result
. would show is 9.15 train, even if I put the departure
. time as 7am. Why is that so?

Not sure, but it could be because of the relative infrequency of the HIKARI Shinkansen departures (as opposed to the NOZOMI), as well as Hyperdia's factoring of transfer times at Tokyo or Shinagawa.

If you search for just the trip for the section "NARITA AIRPORT" to "SHINAGAWA" or "TOKYO" (put via "CHIBA" to help ensure that it doesn't select non-JR lines), then all available NEX trains should show up.

. I understand NEX requires reservation.
. What happens if there are no available seats
. when I arrive that day?

I think that's unlikely. If the normal cars were booked out, your options include:

-pay a bit extra for the Green (first class) car.

-take the JR rapid "Airport Narita" train (no seat reservation) instead.

-take the Keisei line instead of the JR line (not covered by JR pass).

. According to the Hyperdia search result,
. when I reach Shinagawa, I only have
. 10 min to switch to Shinkansen to Osaka.
. Will I have enough time?

10 minutes is sufficient at Shinagawa (the NEX stops at the platform closest to the Shinkansen). If changing at Tokyo, 10 minutes would be a bit tight.

. What happens when I have no reservation
. on the Shinkansen?

You can travel in the non-reserved cars.
by anon rate this post as useful

hyperdia works 2008/10/19 16:39
yes, must be a bug: I just used Hyperdia using 7am and the 7.42 am N'Ex came up
Remember though, you have to clear immigration and customs, both very efficient at Narita, and then activate your pass, AND reserve your seats..
I THINK I have read that you can now reserve seats online, even though you don't have a pass until you get to Japan..not too sure though
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread