Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

PC Power Supply (in Japan) 2008/10/19 21:36
I have a desktop computer, built in the U.S. So it uses, obviously, a U.S. power supply.

Unfortunately, the power supply died. Now I'm curious - what's the difference between a U.S. Power Supply and a Japanese Power Supply?

I already live in Japan and would rather not order a power supply from overseas (to put it simply, I don't have a credit card or U.S. bank account so it's a real hassle ordering anything).

Is it possible to buy a power supply that would work for my desktop computer here?

Thanks!
by Ben  

PSU 2008/10/20 13:50
The important thing is the power that the PSU delivers to the hardware. The voltage will be the same, just make you get one that can provide enough watts to run the system.

(Short answer: yes, it's fine)
by Winterfell rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/21 01:59
PC power supply units are sold in any PC part shops.
They are same worldwide.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

some 2008/10/21 08:48
Some PC power supplies are switchable (see the switch at the back) 110/240V. These will work anywhere. Make sure to select the sorrect voltage.

Some just have 110V on them, and they will work in Japan (and the US)
Some just have 240V on them, and they will work in Europe, Australia, etc.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/10/21 17:03
Thanks a ton, to all the responses. Simple, helpful, and to the point. :)
by Ben rate this post as useful

voltage 2008/10/22 01:57
Standard voltage in US is 117v while in Japan, it is 100v. Some US electronic appliance won't work probably or won't last under this changes. The computer itself needs only 5v to run and that's what a PSU should deliver no matter the input power is 100/120/240v.

In your case, buy a new PSU in Japan to replace the dead one. My experience is that the heavier the unit, the better it is.
by TW rate this post as useful

? 2008/10/22 08:49
"Standard voltage in US is 117v while in Japan, it is 100v. Some US electronic appliance won't work probably or won't last under this changes. The computer itself needs only 5v to run and that's what a PSU should deliver no matter the input power is 100/120/240v."

This is not correct. PCs require 5V, & 12V, plus the the CPU voltage. If you have a 100/120V power supply, and plug it into 240V, it will blow up. If you have a 240V power supply, and plug it into 100V, it will not work.

As I said, they come in three different types: 110V, 240V and 110/240V switchable. These are switch mode power supplies, and they will work on an input of +-10-15%. The 110V supplies will work for 100V through 120V. This will not affect the output voltage, since it's switch mode.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread