Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Study Abroad- Tattoo Concerns 2008/10/20 13:41
I am applying to study abroad at a Japanese University next year, and I am concerned about a tattoo I will be getting this week, getting in the way of my everyday interactions with people. I know that it is a kind of strange question, but since I have read through the posts on the forum about problems entering an onsen with a tattoo, and with people associating the wearer of being yakuza related. If anyone can help clear these questions of mine up, I would greatly appreciate it. The tattoo will probably be just bigger than a quarter and be on the calf of my leg, so wearing shorts in the spring and summer months may bring me problems. Thank you.
by Syrus  

tattoos and size of US coins 2008/10/20 16:44
No, that tattoo is unlikely to cause you any issues, except at some very strict gyms and hot springs, but even there you can probably cover it up with a Band-Aid or two.

I have a similar-sized tattoo on my foot and many of my friends have never even noticed it. When they do, they ask what it is (with that size it can be hard to tell), and did it hurt (yes) and that's about all.

No one is going to judge you or mistake you for a gang member if you have a quarter-sized tattoo on your leg, don't worry.

Just a point- not everyone in the world knows how big an American quarter is- I have a fair idea because I've been to the States once, but you might want to use a more universal example of size when asking for info on a site like this :-)
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thank You 2008/10/20 21:16
Thank you for the response, it really eases some of my worries. To make things more universal, the tattoo would be around 1 inch long (or 2.54cm), that may be a little larger than an American quarter but that is a close size. I appreciate the help.
by Syrus rate this post as useful

You're free to show or not show 2008/10/20 21:47
Syrus, for one thing, here in Japan, not many grown male locals wear shorts to go everywhere.

They only wear shorts in their neighborhood or resorts, only on hot days, or only as fashion when merging with those who like skateboard fashion.

You don't see so many people wearing shorts on a university campus, so if you wear shorts, you will attract attention right there to a certain extent. Then, if you're a girl, you always have the option to stick to pants instead of skirts.

In other words, if you don't feel right about showing your tattoo at certain places, all you have to do is to dress like others. And where other males show their legs, usually a small tattoo is acceptable.

Either way, a lot of local university students and people that age have tattoos nowadays. So with the exception of a small number of gyms, public baths and pools, you will probably have no problem.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thank You Uco 2008/10/20 22:07
Thank you for the advice Uco, wearing longer pants wouldn't be a problem at all, and that is an easy solution to the problem. It is kind of depressing though to know that just because of a mark on your skin, you would be excluded from some hot springs, gyms, and swimming pools. The tattoo itself does not affect any of those places mentioned, and to be judged by having a mark on your body seems a little cold.

cultural differences 2008/10/20 22:27
Unfortunately, that is how it is in japan right now, and it won't change any time soon, so we just have to live with it. There are various things that you will find odd when you come to Japan, that is only one of many!

As I mentioned though, my similar-sized tattoo hasn't caused me any problems. Something really large on your arms or back (like some people I know in Japan have), is much more of an issue.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Less Stressed 2008/10/20 23:37
Thank you everyone for all of the responses. It really helps ease my mind about having a tattoo while I am living abroad. I appreciate all of the help Uco and Sira. I will go ahead and get the tattoo, and not worry about what others may think of if I will not be allowed certain places. This forum is wonderful.

tattooed 2008/10/21 15:10
Hi,
I want to go to Japan next year and i really like tattoos. I have two of them : one on the back (15cmx8cm aprox) and another in the shoulder (11cm of diameter). They get covered by a t-shirt, and most of my friends dont know i have them. Only if we go to the beach or something.

I was concerned about that question too, so i asked a friend of mine who is japanese. She told me that (for my surprise) only a few people in japan wear tattoos and they dont show them very often. She told me that younger people will not concern about them, but ''maybe'' older ones will do, but it depends on the person.

I think that is the same as in Europe, we dont care about them, but maybe some ''adults'' will do. (My father doesnt like my tattoos the first time he saw them, but now he's thinking about getting tattooed. Also my mother doesn't care)

But as i told you, you can only see mines if i wear a sleevesless-tshirt or nothing at all.
by CONEJOsp rate this post as useful

Tattoos in Japan 2008/10/22 06:51
I visit Japan often and stay there for a month plus. My forearms are covered in tattoos and I have never had anyone treat me any different. I have had in fact, many people come up to me & ask me about them and even want to touch them...I dont know it its cause Im female, but they always seem really interested in talking to me. I even have little old ladies ask me about them ^^ Thats just my experience.
by A rate this post as useful

don't worry 2008/10/22 17:37
Don't worry about it. People will know you are not yakuza. :) There might be a few onsen that you can't go to, but for the most part...no problems. I have small tattoo on my forearm and a large tattoo that starts on just above my toes and wraps around my leg acouple of times and ends up just below my knee. I get a lot of looks, (especially from the very old) But have never had any problems. I've been to a couple of onsen , and haven't been to a couple because of the tattoo. But no a big deal. My GF just laughs when the old ladies stare. (coz I always wear shorts) Baka gaijin wearing shorts & tattoo! :)
by daz88 rate this post as useful

small tattoo 2008/10/23 11:26
I have the same (quarter) sized tattoo on my back, I just cover it with a bandaid in sento and onsen, I haven't had any problems, one older lady asked what it was but I just had to play dumb gaijin, mostly because my Japanese is very limited. While you won't be mistaken for Yakuza (I assume you are white American? Forgive me if I am wrong.), try to be aware of what may offend some people and cover up where appropriate.
by R. rate this post as useful

female with tattoo 2008/10/24 10:13
i'm sorry to intrude but my question is somewhat similar. what if a girl has tattoos? would she be descriminated more since she's a female? i'm a bit worried cause i have 3 tattoos and they are quite big. thanks!
by me.zyne.me rate this post as useful

I'm a girl... 2008/10/25 09:46
but my tattoo is small.

by R. rate this post as useful

Update 2008/11/13 01:12
Just a quick update for everyone. I did go through with getting the tattoo, and I ended up getting it on my shoulder blade opposed to my calf. The tattoo itself is maybe an inch across on all sides, and I do not think that it will be a problem covering up at all. I am still a little nervous about possibly being declined entry to a public bath or gym, but that is something I will have to address when it occurs. Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful advice and help. I am still waiting to hear back from the school about the study abroad, but all looks well to be going to Japan from September of 2009 to July of 2010.

just a note 2008/11/13 01:59
I was writing about something totally different unrelated to tattoos, I was looking up information on Odaiba, and I noticed the small note at the bottom of all the pages on the Ooedo-Onsen site:
http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/english/index.html

Double check with facility rules before traveling would be one advice.
by John rate this post as useful

Wow 2008/11/15 00:38
If they are going to exclude and discriminate against people with tattoos, they need to have a section explaining why they enforce that policy. A tattoo does not affect the well-being of others, it does not harm the water in any form, and most likely someone with a tattoo visiting the hot springs will have already had if for awhile so no health risk is posed. Just when things were looking up... :(

don't worry 2008/11/15 05:09
You seem to be worrying about this tattoo thing a whole lot. Don't let it bother you so much. There will only be a few places you can't go because of it. There is a lot more to Japan than just a few onsen that you can't get into. That's just the way it is. They do NOT have give you a list of reason why they do not want persons with tattoos. It's just one of their rules at that onsen. You should respect that, not worry about it and go to another onsen. Just like business' in the US that have signs that read "We have the right to refuse service to anyone." It's really not that big of a deal. There are many onsen you can go to with a tattoo, why stress about it? If you were so worried, why did you get the tattoo now, instead of waiting until after you left Japan? It is truely nothing to worry about. Go to Japan enjoy yourself. It's a beautiful place. Just repsect their customs and follow their rules. Just like you would except of someone coming to visit your area.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread