Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

travelling japan for 1.5 months? 2008/10/20 14:16
travelling japan from dec28 2008 till around feb15 2009 startin in tokyo working my way down to nagasaki going through:
yokohama
kamakura
hakone
mt fuji
nagoya
kyoto
nara
kobe
osaka
himeji
okayama
kurashiki
hiroshima
fukuoka
beppu
nagasaki
then flying up to sapporo and back to tokyo to fly home..how much money will i need and is this a good travel route?? mabey stay a few days at each give or take?? thinking about takayama and kanazawa too??

should i add any places to the list or take any off??

and also how much money will i need for this trip roughly?? on a pretty tight budget as im a uni student!!
by brooklyn  

... 2008/10/20 16:39
how much money will i need

Depends entirely on your travel style. This page should give you an idea:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

and is this a good travel route?

Yes, except that I recommend visiting Kobe after Osaka and Beppu before Fukuoka.

mabey stay a few days at each give or take?

Some of the cities along your way, such as Kyoto and Osaka have enough attractions for a multiple-day stay, but others have one day worth of attractions.

thinking about takayama and kanazawa too??

Why not. Looks like you have the time.

should i add any places to the list or take any off??

Depends on your interests.

and also how much money will i need for this trip roughly?? on a pretty tight budget as im a uni student!!

How to save money:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Great plan 2008/10/20 16:46
I do not know about the route but the cities listed are good ones. Takayama and Kanazawa I have been there and if the weather premites by all means GO! Uji and others will help with your route. Money is always a good question. You could it cheap using youth hostles and eating at fast food places and even 7-11 but remember its Japan so dont forget to treat yourself to real Japanese food... Have a great time.
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/10/20 18:22
The problem is the weather.. cold,rain, and days are short. By 5 pm it is already dark. For 45 days you need a bare minimum of 50 $ a day if you stay in hostels (not including long distance transportation within Japan--2 JR passes plus planes to Sapporo will cost quite a lot--and from your country to Japan and back). This means about $ 2500.$ 3500 plus transportation would be more realistic. You could use night buses but only for a few trips. One month of travelling would be more than enough and a bit less expensive. After all few Japanese have ever seen their country from one side to the other.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

cheers 2008/10/20 22:37
thanks everyone..

i hought it would be able to get cheap flights from nagasaki to sapporo over the internet?? havnt really looked into it though..

is it really going to be that cold and rainy?? i read somewhere thats its still pretty dry.. in msome places??

also is nikko worth visiting for a day?? whilst in tokyo region??
by brooklyn rate this post as useful

Weather 2008/10/22 15:42
It rains more in summer than in winter. I travelled around Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo in February this year and there was barely any rain. There were a couple of days of snow while we were in Kyoto and Osaka but it was light and it added to the experience anyway.
by Erin rate this post as useful

Nikko 2008/10/23 03:41
Nikko was for me absolutely fascinating but then I am crazy about architecture and understand how much work was involved. Besides that the forest, lake, waterfall are pretty beautiful too. Apparently there is a saying: "Who hasn't seen Nikko doesn't know the meaning of beautiful" or something like that..the famous 3 monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil)are there by the way
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/23 07:58
One thing to note, it looks like you might be heading to Sapporo during the Snow Festival:

http://www.snowfes.com/english/

If that is the case then you will be lucky to find a hotel at a reasonable rate, or even find anything. It will probably be more expensive for air travel to that destination as well.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread