Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Timing 2008/10/20 16:17
Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to Japan during the summer to find a job teaching English. Would that be a mistake since the hiring season is in February or so and school has already started? Would it be hard to find a job?

For reference, I will have a Bachelors degree and I'm from the U.S.
by Nero  

there are jobs, but it's hot 2008/10/20 21:51
It's no the high season, but there are still plenty of jobs advertised at that time of year. People often leave Japan in summer to go back to study in their own country, so there are often plenty of jobs starting in September.

The only thing is that it is an unpleasant time to be going all over Tokyo wearing a suit for interviews- very hot, and very humid.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/20 22:17
I highly suggest you schedule some interviews BEFORE you go.
There are many schools that do hire within Japan if you don't have a tourist/temporary visitor permit (eg they only hire people in Japan who already have some other visa).

The last thing you want is come over, realize you can't get a job or even an interview because you don't meet some basic qualifications.

Also you should try the overseas recruiting of many of the big schools first. They do recruiting in most major western English speaking countries.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread