Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

small translation 2008/10/20 17:32
I'm writing a letter to a family I lived with in Tokyo.

I studied Japanese, but I'm still on a fairly basic level and would appreciate some help cleaning sentences up.

らいねん日本へいきたい.

I believe that the sentence is correct, but I was thinking of using かいたい

and is itへ or に? both work right?

also,

I wasn't sure how I should write. "Hope to see you again soon."

Appreciate the help!
こんにちわかずとなぎ. 私のしごとはいそがしですがおもしろいです.
らいねん日本へいきたい.
by Rob  

answer 2008/10/20 21:00
Dear Rob

Your sentence looks fine, although I haven't heard anyone use かいたい when saying they want to go somewhere. The most natural way to say it is just by using the verb 'iku (行く)' which you used.

As for かいたい, depending the kanji used it could mean to buy something (買いたい). Maybe you just confused one verb with another here.

As for へ or に, they're both OK, but there are small subtle differences between them. I suggest you search the forum for that, because there have been many people before you with the same question.

But since you're only at basic level Japanese, I don't think it's that important to know the difference yet.

'I hope to see you again soon' in Japanese is

また会えるといいです or
また会える機会があるといいです。

Both are ok in my opinion
by D rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/10/21 01:40
Thanks for the advice, it was really helpful!
by Rob rate this post as useful

no problem 2008/10/21 03:18
My pleasure.

Just a piece of advice since you said you're still learning the basics:

don't spend too much time trying to figure out the subtle differences, like the difference between he and ni. I completely understand that you're eager to learn, but you'll probably just end up breaking your head about it, which will leave you confused and less motivated to learn. Such small (yet pesky) things are learned as time passes by, take my word for it.
by D rate this post as useful

Just to ad 2008/10/21 07:54
こんにちわ、かずとなぎ。 私のしごとはいそがしいですが おもしろいです。

I assume you want to say "Hello, Kazu and Nagi. My work is busy/my work keeps me busy but it's interesting."

Rather than saying おもしろいです、I might suggest "I am enjoying my work." たのしんでいます or たのしいです。

らいねん日本へいきたいです。(I want to go to Japan next year.)

Since you started out the letter in "...desu" polite speech, I might add "...desu" here as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread