Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is English cursive known? 2008/10/21 00:23
I've been asked to develop some product for an American company that has locations in Japan. American tourists are part of the target market, but so are Japanese residents. The product needs to have the location printed in English (Tokyo, Osaka, ect...) I know that native Japanese know Romanji, but when I thought hard about it I wasn't sure if they're taught romanized cursive. As a native english speaker I know it's not hard to tell the difference, but I thought it would be proper to ask the experts!

Is there any reason I should avoid using cursive on these products?
Thank you!
by Pirika  

cursive 2008/10/21 21:35
Some older Japanese people seem to have been taught a nice cursive, but I've rarely seen younger people use cursive style. It is obviously harder to read than non-cursive styles, and some people may have trouble with it.
by Sira rate this post as useful

cursives are fine 2008/10/21 22:40
Much to our surprize, "our" meaning we middle-aged locals, students today don't really learn cursives at school or at least their classes spend very little time on it.

However, any resident knows that there are tons of nonsense written in cursive on T-shirts, sweat shirts and bags sold in Japan.

Actually, I think any Japanese person teenage and older can read Japanese location names in romaji cursive. It's just that not all people stop to read them. They just think that whatever is written in alphabet, no matter what the contents are, is cool. It's just like how Americans find shirts with Chinese characters printed on it cool.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread