Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jobs Besides Teaching English? 2008/10/22 00:32
i have 3 years of work experience in America as a telephone operator for a major phone company. at my company, there was a Spanish speaking division, where all the operators provided service to customers in Spanish rather than English.

in Japan, the same thing must exist, only with an English speaking division, instead, right?

I was wondering if anyone knows of such jobs in Japan that may be offered to foreigners. Heck, I could do Spanish customer service too (native speaker), if there's a need for such employees in Japan!

I don't have a university degree, and I dont speak Japanese (i plan to take a course soon, though) but perhaps my job experience would help in getting me hired (maybe big companies will sponsor a work visa?)? I've read on this site that 3 years relevant work experience replaces a univ. degree for English teachers.

I would appreciate any info.!!!
by L  

Japanese skills? 2008/10/22 08:30
Customer service in other languages in Japan is almost always provided by people who are fluent in both Japanese and that language- usually Japanese people, although occasionally non-Japanese who speak Japanese fluently.

It's pretty unlikely you would find a phone customer service job in any company without a high level of Japanese I'm afraid.

by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/22 23:14
If you spoke Japanese then yes you might be able to work outside the English teaching field. But otherwise, people who provide customer service in Japan are usually Japanese people who speak English, or if they needed a spanish service, they would hire a Japanese person who can speak Spanish, as it is really an interpretation job, can't really provide customer service about Japanese products if you can't read or speak about the products in Japanese to translate it into Spanish.
by John rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/10/22 23:36
thanks guys for your views on this!

yeah, it makes sense. my job was doing directory assistance, so there was really no need to do anything except read the name/address/tel.phone to people. so, you know, the customer would call in spanish or english and you would provide them the info. in that language. so, you know -- imagined that i could do that if english speakers were calling Japanese directory asst. in japan, but i guess the info would have to be written in romaji!

i am just starting out learning japanese -- i can pronounce very well if reading romaji, and i know a few basic words and phrases, so --- maybe i can look into this in the future when ive learned the language better.

thanks again!
by L rate this post as useful

english 2008/10/24 02:46
don't rule out english so quickly. teaching english is quite fun especially if you are able to get a handful of intermediate or advanced students.

you are basically being paid to mess around talking with people that become your friends. you do of course have to teach them but after a few lessons everything becomes second nature, all those annoying grammar rules get imprinted into your brain and you can spout them off whenever necessary..
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Teaching English 2008/10/24 08:21
L's stumbling block there though is the lack of a university degree.

:/ 2008/10/24 18:08
winter -- yes, that would be great, but as Sira said -- no degree. i know schools exist who will take you with no degree or relevant experience, but even when youre willing to settle for less pay, they seem few and far between!

is anyone aware of a good job listing site for fields outside teaching?
by L rate this post as useful

visa issue 2008/10/24 18:57
It's quite possible to get English-teaching jobs without a degree, but it's not usually possible to get a working visa without a degree, as I think you've found through your own research.

reply to this thread